[comp.sys.next] lpr/lpd problems re. non-NeXT-connected remote printers in 2.0

shore@adobe.COM (Andrew Shore) (12/06/90)

I've just discovered a bug in NeXTOS 2.0 relating to spooling to remote
printers connected to non-NeXT machines.

It seems that NeXT is putting a new "command" in the lpd control information
(the "cf" spool file) that most other BSD-based (and hence lpd-speaking)
Unix hosts cannot cope with.  The end result is that jobs spooled from 2.0
to remote printers on non-NeXT machines will NOT print.  The remote lpd will
barf.  Mail *may* get sent to "daemon" about the difficulty.

NeXT is aware of this problem (as of this afternoon), and working on it.

Note: If you have a 2.0-beta version that did not exhibit this problem
(e.g., fuchsia), you *might* be able to replace the 2.0 /usr/ucb/lpr with
the fuchsia /usr/ucb/lpr.  Note sure though.

--Andy Shore
  shore@adobe.com

bandw (12/07/90)

In article <8856@adobe.UUCP> shore@adobe.COM (Andrew Shore) writes:
>It seems that NeXT is putting a new "command" in the lpd control information
>(the "cf" spool file) that most other BSD-based (and hence lpd-speaking)
>Unix hosts cannot cope with.  The end result is that jobs spooled from 2.0
>to remote printers on non-NeXT machines will NOT print.  The remote lpd will
>barf.  Mail *may* get sent to "daemon" about the difficulty.

What is the command and what is it supposed to do?