[comp.sys.next] A3000UX competition

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren Rittle) (12/06/90)

Many moons ago the flame war started, who knows by whom, who cares!
(Note the following is a request for peace, will a respected NeXT
person please quite the NeW NeXT fanatics who are posting messages
like crazy in OTHER newsgroups! I read comp.sys.next, I just don't
want to read about NeXT in comp.sys.* (where * != next))

Both machines use the 680x0, what on earth are we fighting about!
Both are much better than brain dead PC.  Both have uses. Enough
is enough!

Get the NeXT crap out of comp.sys.amiga or you will see more
messages in comp.sys.next in one day then you have seen in the last
month, I mean it!
--
``In short, this is the absolute coolest computer device ever invented!''
                   -Tom Denbo speaking about The VideoToaster by NewTek

In <4165.275e781d@cc.helsinki.fi>, jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <12097@hubcap.clemson.edu>, ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) writes:
>> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>
>>>I am not very interested in comparing the 68040 A3000UX until it exists.
>>
>>>And as it seems that 68030 A3000UX is about the same price that 68040
>>>NeXT it is not difficult to decide which one to take (for me!). There is
>>>nothing very special in the A3000UX, after all. (I don't care for a
>>>forthcoming "the only right thing" Unix you were talking about.)
>>
>> Ah, a few things I want to throw in here (there is a lot of re-hashing)
>>
>> 1) What is the end-user price for the NeXT's? (not the devel., ed.)
>>    Business will buy the cheapest (hey, its a business, right?)
>
>Gee. I think that the suggested retail price of NeXTStation is $4995.
>The educ. price is about $3200. This includes 8MB RAM, 105MB HD,
>Megapixel display, etc.
>
>I would really like to know if that $4000 is the EDUCATIONAL or RETAIL
>price for A3000UX. If it is educational, I wonder what is the point in
>paying nearly $1000 more for a system with 68030 instead of 68040 and
>without DSP. I also doubt the Amiga system comes with as good display
>than the NeXTs.
>
>Even if there was a 68040 Amiga for about $3000 educational, I would
>still choose NeXT - because of DSP and the wonderful development environment.
>
>					Jouni

So... go away.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/07/90)

In article <4165.275e781d@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <12097@hubcap.clemson.edu>, ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) writes:
>> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>
>>>I am not very interested in comparing the 68040 A3000UX until it exists.
>>
>>>And as it seems that 68030 A3000UX is about the same price that 68040
>>>NeXT it is not difficult to decide which one to take (for me!). There is
>>>nothing very special in the A3000UX, after all. (I don't care for a
>>>forthcoming "the only right thing" Unix you were talking about.)
>>
>> Ah, a few things I want to throw in here (there is a lot of re-hashing)
>>
>> 1) What is the end-user price for the NeXT's? (not the devel., ed.)
>>    Business will buy the cheapest (hey, its a business, right?)
>
>Gee. I think that the suggested retail price of NeXTStation is $4995.
>The educ. price is about $3200. This includes 8MB RAM, 105MB HD,
>Megapixel display, etc.
>
>I would really like to know if that $4000 is the EDUCATIONAL or RETAIL
>price for A3000UX. If it is educational, I wonder what is the point in
>paying nearly $1000 more for a system with 68030 instead of 68040 and
>without DSP. I also doubt the Amiga system comes with as good display
>than the NeXTs.
>
>Even if there was a 68040 Amiga for about $3000 educational, I would
>still choose NeXT - because of DSP and the wonderful development environment.
>
>					Jouni

So much for your personal opinion. Considering how much time you spend
annoying comp.sys.amiga readers you can't be doing much with your Next.
Or is it that it is not yet available from your local dealer?

Could someone on comp.sys.next explain to this asshole that we are tired of
this thread and we DON'T want a war with Next users. Next and amiga are both
good computers. 'nough said.

Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."