[comp.sys.next] NeXT and Amiga3000UX

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/08/90)

I just thought this could be interesting for the comp.sys.next group.

In article <673@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>In article <9012040152.AA09539@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") writes:
>>>WROONG. SLC is much slower than a 68040-NeXT. NeXTstation is supposed to
>>>be even faster than a SparcStation 1+.
>>
>>I wanna see specs before I believe that, especially considering the slowness of
>Ok, I am assuming that the SPARCstation-1 and the SLC are the same speed.
>I have tested a SS-1 but not a SLC, and I have also tested a SS-1+ and an
>SS-2, as well as 4/490's 4/390's, and 4/330's. In Floating point, the
>NeXT easily beats the Sparcstation-1, the 1+, and the 4/3xx and 4/4xx.
>In integer (almost useless, but anyway) the NeXT manages to tie almost
>exactly the ss-1+. Here are some marks:
>
>Machine		Dhrystones		MFlops
>NeXT 030/25mhz	7204
>Sun 4/60 (ss-1)	19672.1 (max opt)
>Sun 4/65 (ss1+)	22140.2 (max opt)
>NeXT 040/25mhz	23661.0 (max opt)
>Amiga (no sure) 3350.7  (opt???)
>IBM 3090/200	54894.8 		Expected at 800 with vector.
>Amiga (030/25)	6990.3
>Sun 3/60	3790.3
>rs6000/520	28222.0
>Sun 4/330	25000.0 (max opt)
>Ardent titan-3	22831.1
>HP 9000/845	20833.3
>Gould np-1	13730.8 (max opt)
>symmetry-81k	5696.9
>Hp 9000/310	948.0 (max opt -- took an hour to compile)
>
>Anyway, those are figures that I (or a friend of mine) have tested
>ourselves. I am quite sure that a Cube-040 can match a ss-1+ in integer
>performance, and because of it's cisc nature, I believe that the 040
>cube will handle load better than the ss-1+ will also. THESE ARE JUST
>GUESSES. I havent been on an 040 next much, but I have been on 1+'s,
>and I will admit that they FEEL fast. The NeXT has to work on that.
>The only experience I've really had with the ami is games and a bit
>of programming, but those machines crash more often than...anything.
>I would love to try an 040/25 amiga running under sys-vr4, but from
>what I have seen, they seem to buckle under load much more than the
>NeXT or the ss-1. Of course, the ss-2 will blow away anything except
>the rios-risc 6000. I hate AIX, though.
>
>Note I say (max opt) on a lot of them, on the suns that means -O4 or WHATEVEr
>we got the best time out of. The SPARCstations would drop to 9000 dhrys with
>no optimization. Under ami/os, I had major problems getting ANYTHING
>to compile, and it reminded me much of a macintosh in that respect.
>Almost all of the ami's I have seen or delt with had poor res screens,
>major flicker, or other problems. Going from a 1+GX to a 68000 ami is a
>major headache, even if i go to the ami just to play games. Graphics
>on the ami do seem very fast for such a cheap machine, though I have seen
>suns with graphics accellerators that will blow an ami away (admittidly
>those accellerators are $6k plus).
>
>Anyway, the 040 NeXT is as fast as a SS-1+. I expect that an 040 ami
>will be close, also.
> [...]

You have seen amigas and played games on them. Fine, now use one before you
come back to comp.sys.amiga to give us facts that are irrelevant to the amiga
and that a great many people on comp.sys.amiga has been asking for days now
not to have to expand their kill file for. If we want to find out more about
the next I am sure we can g comp.sys.next. OK?
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."