[comp.sys.next] 8 bits no parity

cdl@chiton.ucsd.edu (Carl Lowenstein) (12/08/90)

I don't know if this is a NeXT-specific problem, or more wide-spread.

When using tip(1) to connect to a modem through /dev/cua, I
would like to set the serial output format to 8 bits no parity.

A tour through the manuals finds tty(4) saying:
"output parity is usually even."  No clues there.

stty(1) can set acceptance of input data to be odd, even, or both,
but does not affect output.

--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu

cbradley@Busl.COM (Chris Bradley) (12/10/90)

In article <613@chiton.ucsd.edu> cdl@chiton (Carl Lowenstein) writes:
>When using tip(1) to connect to a modem through /dev/cua, I
>would like to set the serial output format to 8 bits no parity.
>A tour through the manuals finds tty(4) saying:
>"output parity is usually even."  No clues there.

I had this problem too, but discovered that the parity can be set by
making the correct entries in /etc/remote.

From the man page:
     pa   (str) The type of parity to use when sending data to
          the host.  This may be one of ``even'', ``odd'',
          ``none'', ``zero'' (always set bit 8 to zero), ``one''
          (always set bit 8 to 1).  The default is even parity.

--
Chris Bradley			| "Nothing is more certain than incertainties;
Businessland Advanced Systems	|  Fortune is full of fresh variety: