[comp.sys.next] UPDATE: Canon double-sided ODs

tempest@walleye.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (12/08/90)

I think this bit of information may interest some NeXT users out
there.  NOTE: THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS _NOT_ OFFICIALLY
SUPPORTED NOR ENDORSED BY NeXT COMPUTER, INC--USE THE INFORMATION
AT YOUR OWN RISK.  NeXT COMPUTER, INC., MICRONET, NOR I WILL NOT
BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE FOLLOWING.

Ok, now that we got the unpleasantries with, here's what I found
out about the new Canon double-sided ODs.  I called NeXT at their
800 number and asked whether these disks will work.  In short,
yes, they do!  I was worried that since the cartridge covers open
one way they may damage the drive/cartridge when one flips them
over.  My worries were unfounded and I was told by "John" that a
member of their tech support team tested a DS OD on a NeXT OD
drive for several hours and nothing broke.

The Canon product number for the DS OD is: MO502N.  For U.S.
people, a company named MicroNet Technology, Inc. in Irvine, CA
sells such cartridges for $229US retail.  Their numbers are:
(714) 837-6033, FAX (714) 837-1164.  MicroNet sells to authorized
Apple dealers, so you can go into any place that sells Macs and
order them.  I think that they also sell to IBM PC distributors
also because the person I spoke with asked whether I was
inquiring about the Mac or IBM version.  The contact at MicroNet
is "Mark" at X214.

[I am not affiliated with NeXT Computer, Inc. nor MicroNet
Technology, Inc. except as a satisfied customer of the former.  I
haven't ordered the DS ODs...yet.]

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

ta-aca@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (12/08/90)

It was not clear from your posting:  Can these Cannon DS OD's *actually be
flipped and written on*.  I.e., is the second side usable for an additional
256M of storage?

aca
aca (squish)

turing@saturn.ucsc.edu (Brad Gulko) (12/09/90)

	I actually have one of thest double sided OD's and it works just
fine (so far). I too am surprised that the fact that the OD window
sleeve can only slide one way does not impede usage.... but it does not.
Just flip the disk over and get an additional 256 Meg.
	The disks can be ordered for less then $200 in small quantities and
about $175 in quantity. I have had them ship inabout a week.
-- Brad

coco@cbnewsl.att.com (felix.a.lugo) (12/10/90)

In article <9886@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, turing@saturn.ucsc.edu (Brad Gulko) writes:

> 	I actually have one of thest double sided OD's and it works just
> fine (so far). I too am surprised that the fact that the OD window
> sleeve can only slide one way does not impede usage.... but it does not.

	Use a flash-light and check inside the OD opening and you'll notice
	two "arms", which are used to open the cartridge's sleeve.
	There's one at each side of the drive, with a slight offset in the
	vertical direction to compensate for the opening in the cartridge.

> Just flip the disk over and get an additional 256 Meg.
> 	The disks can be ordered for less then $200 in small quantities and
> about $175 in quantity. I have had them ship inabout a week.

	Where is this?  I would like to get some.  How much is "small
	quantities"?

> -- Brad

_____________________
	Felix A. Lugo
	coco@ihlpb.att.com
	att!ihlpb!coco

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec8.091838.21463@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-aca@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) writes:
>Can these Cannon DS OD's *actually be flipped and written on*.

Yes.  Sorry for the confusion.  The new Canon double-sided ODs
work as double-sided ODs on the NeXT with optical drives.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/12/90)

/ comp.sys.next / turing@saturn.ucsc.edu (Brad Gulko) / Dec  8, 1990 /
> Just flip the disk over and get an additional 256 Meg.

When you initialize the disk, does it whipe out both sides, or just one?

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob