[comp.sys.next] 80MB swap disk

quarrie@cds001.cebaf.gov (David Quarrie) (12/11/90)

I've a 80MB disk (marketed by Jasmine, but with a Quantum mechanism) left
over from my Mac days. Using "scsimodes" I have no problems seeing the drive
and have contemplated installing it as a swap disk. The question is - is it
worth it or should I just try to sell it and get more memory instead? My
current cube configuration is:

	'030 cube, Version 1.0 software
	8MB memory
	Fujitsu 680MB drive
	Optical Drive

I'm just using the optical drive for backups. The pros I can think of are:

	Cut down on thrashing on Fujitsu drive

The cons are:

	Reliability?
	Yet another device to reach around behind to power up before the cube.
	80MB has av. 28msec access time, the Fujitsu claims 16msec. Will it
	actually be _slower_ to swap to the 80MB?

I realize that I really need more memory so my inclination is to sell the drive
and use that money (hopefully around $300?) towards getting it. Is it correct
that I have to get memory in sets of 4 (i.e. a minimum of 4MB using 1MB SIMMS
or 16MB using 4MB SIMMS) ? Suggestions welcome.
--

	David Quarrie
	CEBAF Physics Division

	quarrie@cds001.cebaf.gov

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.085821@cds001.cebaf.gov> quarrie@cds001.cebaf.gov (David Quarrie) writes:
>I've a 80MB disk (marketed by Jasmine, but with a Quantum mechanism) left
>over from my Mac days. Using "scsimodes" I have no problems seeing the drive
>and have contemplated installing it as a swap disk. The question is - is it

Hi.  I have a similar question.  I just got my cube yesterday, YEAH!!!!
I pulled the 40 meg disk and installed a 300 meg Wren IV (anybody got a
disktab entry for this BTW?  I don't think mine is perfect :).  I'd like
to  put the 40 meg back in and use it for just paging.  Now for the questions:

How exactly do I do this?
What files must be edited, and in what way?
Does anybody know what SCSI ID number I usould use for everything?
I have a daisy chain SCSI cable, but I have never done a SCSI daisychain before
How does one go abouut doing SCSI termination?
Is the optical a SCSI disk?  ie, do I have to worry about SCSI ID for it?
Also, what are some of the more non-essential files/directories that can be
removed from the hard drive if the need should arise?

Please be verbose.  While I'm not overtly stupid :), I'm new to the NeXT
and need all the help I can get (obviously :)  Any help I get is greatly
appreciated.

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu