[comp.sys.next] display speed on color NeXTstation

jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) (12/12/90)

The display speed on the '030 NeXT is sluggish.  The display speed on
the '040 NeXT is very zippy... quite fast and clean.  How does it look
on a color NeXTstation?  The '040 is moving 16 planes instead of 2,
is there much of a slowdown?  Does anyone who's seen one of these
puppies have an opinion?

	Thanks
		John Feiler

reid@ss6.uucp (Dr Richard J. Reid) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec12.065909.18062@nntp-server.caltech.edu> jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) writes:
>The display speed on the '030 NeXT is sluggish.  The display speed on
>the '040 NeXT is very zippy... quite fast and clean.  How does it look
>on a color NeXTstation?  The '040 is moving 16 planes instead of 2,
>is there much of a slowdown?  Does anyone who's seen one of these
>puppies have an opinion?
>
>	Thanks
>		John Feiler

Does anyone have a "hard" number for 2-D vectors/sec for any of these
machines?  Some information about the test used would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Dick

dwallach@soda.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Wallach) (12/13/90)

Well, I don't have solid numbers, but I did see one for a while.  Assuming
OpaqueMove-windows of NeXTstep 2.0 are some random example of graphics speed,
they were quite snappy, but not quite as nice as the B&W machines.  Hard to
guess, but I'd estimate 7-10 refreshes/sec for a typical terminal window,
which is pretty impressive.

This Apollo 4500 I'm on has 8 bitplanes and a 33MHz 68030 and can do maybe
2 refreshes/sec when you turn on OpaqueMove.

Don't know what, but they sure did SOMETHING right...

Dan