[comp.sys.next] Connecting a disk

hern@uswat.uswest.com (Steve Herndon) (12/12/90)

I recently purchased an OD only 68030 cube during the Businessland fire
sale and am in the process of trying to add an internal drive for paging
(and possibly booting).  I've connected a 100MB Rodime drive to the internal
connectors and run scsimodes with the following results:

 Drive type: Rodime RO3000T
  0 bytes per sector
  0 sectors per track
  0 tracks per cylinder
  0 cylinder per volume
  0 spare sectors per cylinder
  0 alternate tracks per volume
  0 useable sectors on volume

It appears that scsimodes correctly recognizes the drive type, but none of
the other parameters.  Just for the fun of it, I constructed a disktab entry
using the parameters supplied by the manufacturer and ran builddisk to see
what would happen.  Builddisk gets to the mkfs stage and then dies with
an error number that is always sa-1.  That is, if I set the partition size to
100000, mkfs says it failed with error 99999.  If I set sa to 1000, mkfs dies
with error 999, etc.

Anybody got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Steve Herndon
US WEST Advanced Technologies, CO, USA
hern@uswest.com
(303) 850-1337
--

nerd@percy.uucp (Michael Galassi) (12/13/90)

In article <13687@uswat.UUCP> hern@uswat.uswest.com (Steve Herndon) writes:
>...  I've connected a 100MB Rodime drive to the internal
>connectors and run scsimodes with the following results:

> Drive type: Rodime RO3000T
>  0 bytes per sector
>  0 sectors per track
>  0 tracks per cylinder
>  0 cylinder per volume
>  0 spare sectors per cylinder
>  0 alternate tracks per volume
>  0 useable sectors on volume

My first guess is that you are passing the block device to scsimodes,
if this is the case try the character device instead.  i.e. /dev/rsdXa
rather than /dev/sdXa (where X is the device id you have set the drive
to).  I ran into the same problem and could have kicked myself after
having done a low level format on another machine 4 times.  :-(

>...  Builddisk gets to the mkfs stage and then dies with
>an error number that is always sa-1.  That is, if I set the partition size to
>100000, mkfs says it failed with error 99999.  If I set sa to 1000, mkfs dies
>with error 999, etc.

The error #returned is the block # on which the mkfs failed.
I hope I've been of help, if not, I hope I haven't wasted too much of
your time.
--
      Michael Galassi    | If my opinions happen to be the same as
...!tektronix!percy!nerd | my employer's it is ONLY a coincidence,