[comp.sys.next] NeXT sequencer

rbd@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (roger davis) (12/13/90)

In article <IbNeKqy00WB6ABCkRF@andrew.cmu.edu>, ah2e+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Aaron Noel Hughes) writes:
> Does anybody know if there is a MIDI sequncer available for the NeXT?
> I remember a discussion from not too long ago, but I don't know what
> the consensus was.
>

> Aaron

Coda has a page or two in the recent NeXT software catalog describing
a program (MusicProse?) that did both notation and sequencing. From the
description in the catalog, it sounded like neither half of the program
was as powerful as existing top-of-the-line notators or sequencers for
the Mac, but maybe they have something better in the works. I believe
its availability was listed as 'Early 1991'.

I recently expended a lot of angst over purchasing a home machine to
do these tasks. I really wanted a Sun SLC or a NeXT (both selling at around
$3000 with academic discount) as opposed to an overpriced/underpowered
Mac (flames invited! :-]), but wound up buying the latter anyway since
there was nothing tangible out there for the better machines.

NeXT's built-in 16-bit 44K audio makes it a natural choice for an
affordable music workstation, and it would be great if some vendor would
put out some full-featured MIDI software for it. I actually spoke with
Sue Patolano in Product Development/Marketing at Mark of the Unicorn, and was
told that when the NeXT first appeared they signed on as developers and
** actually started ** porting Performer. When NeXT sales were sluggish,
they canned the project. She said they would take it up again in the
future only if there was significant demand for it, whatever that means.

I think it would be a great help if everybody out there who has an interest
in this would call up MotU (and/or any other quality software vendor) and
express a strong desire to see products like this available for the better
price/performance platforms like NeXT and Sun. Sue told me she only gets a
request like mine every three months or so, but MotU's tune might change if
they got a dozen requests a week. Their number is 617-576-2760. (Don't tell
them I put y'all up to it, of course, or the effect will be minimized.)
--
Roger Davis
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory