[comp.sys.next] new user: encapsulated postscript -> postscript

shaudys@ogicse.ogi.edu (Fred Shaudys) (12/13/90)

I just bought an '030 cube.  At present I am only hooked up to our
schools mainframe through a serial connection.  In order to access
our LaserWriter I need to first port the files over to the mainframe.
The LaserWriter chokes on encapsulated postscript files.  Is there a
way to convert these files to postscript...where...how much...how soon...?

Thanks,
Fred

---shaudys@cse.ogi.edu

phred@oakhill.UUCP (Steve Menyhert) (12/13/90)

	I've found that if you pull the encapsulated postscript file into
Preview, then go into the print menu, you can hit the preview option and
this causes Preview to write the straight postscript form to a temp file.

	(This file is stored in /private/tmp.)  You can then grab this file
before by copying it somewhere permanent before Preview deletes it.

phred
--
Steve Menyhert					| Motorola Incorporated
phred@oakhill.sps.mot.com			| Microprocessor Products Group

gessel@tulum.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (12/14/90)

EPS is a subset of PS in terms of allowed operators. There are a few
comments required to be EPS conformant, but they are PS comments.

I'd like to know if anyone has had trouble doing PS things to an EPS file.
It just shouldn't happen.

Dan

--
Daniel Mark Gessel                          Independent Software Consultant
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu                   and Developer

In article <GESSEL.90Dec13145408@tulum.cs.swarthmore.edu>
	gessel@tulum.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:
>I'd like to know if anyone has had trouble doing PS things to an EPS file.
>It just shouldn't happen.

EPS files *are* PS files... but since they are intended to be
included in other documents, they often don't have a "showpage"
at the end.

					-=EPS=-