[comp.sys.next] GnuPlot,Fig on the NeXT

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (12/13/90)

This has probably been asked but I haven't seen it--Is there
a version of Gnuplot 2.0 that runs on the NeXT? If not, what modification
would be required to get the gnuplot PostScript output to the
screen as Display PS?

Has (or is) anyone ported Fig 1.4? I'm mainly interested in the
TeX aspects to the program.

Thanks in advance.

-Charlie

eric@eecs.wsu.edu (Eric Schneider) (12/14/90)

Regarding gnuplot...  I have compiled and run this on the NeXT.  By
routing the PS output to a file, you can later preview this file.  I don't
know of another way to do this.  Perhaps, you could set up a pipe directly
from gnuplot to the DPS process.

		Eric
--
*----------------------------------------+
| Eric Schneider, Software Engineer      |

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec12.202349.5793@wam.umd.edu> charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) writes:
>This has probably been asked but I haven't seen it--Is there
>a version of Gnuplot 2.0 that runs on the NeXT? If not, what modification
>would be required to get the gnuplot PostScript output to the
>screen as Display PS?
>
>Has (or is) anyone ported Fig 1.4? I'm mainly interested in the
>TeX aspects to the program.

I got a few replies to this post-mostly others wanting the same info.

There was one suggestion for Gnuplot--gnuplot will compile on the
NeXT. Then (in gnuplot) set term type to 'epsf' then output to file
and preview.

No info on FIG.

-Charlie

woo@nas.nasa.gov (Alex C. Woo) (12/14/90)

>>This has probably been asked but I haven't seen it--Is there
>>a version of Gnuplot 2.0 that runs on the NeXT? If not, what modification
>>would be required to get the gnuplot PostScript output to the
>>screen as Display PS?
>
>I got a few replies to this post-mostly others wanting the same info.
>
>There was one suggestion for Gnuplot--gnuplot will compile on the
>NeXT. Then (in gnuplot) set term type to 'epsf' then output to file
>and preview.

A new official patch (#2) will be available soon for gnuplot
on cs.duke.edu.  Gnuplot2.02 will now compile with the following
mod to 'makefile.unx': -DGAMMA=lgamma
Also the new version supports the following:

gnuplot> set term epsf
gnuplot> set output "|Preview"
gnuplot> plot blah....

Hopefully the tests of the patch will be complete by the end
of the year.

Alex

Alex Woo, MS 227-6		|	woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center	|	NASAMAIL	ACWOO
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000	|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!