[comp.sys.next] 510MB SCSI Drive for $1295.00

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (12/14/90)

Conner Peripherals Inc.
3081 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95134
(408) 456-4500

Markets a 510 MB Hard Disk Drive (Internal) SCSI or IDE interface for
$1295.00 . From InfoWorld Magazine Nov 5/90 Page 34 states ...

"At the high end is the Summit series, with half-height 3 1/2" drive that
provides 510MB of formateed storage. Available in either SCSI (Model
CP-3500) or IDE (Model CP-3504), the drive features an average seek time of
12 milliseconds. In addition, th drive features a 256K segmented cache
buffer that is said to provide nearly instantaneous access to frequently
used data."

Any one know if this drive can be used inside the NeXTstation ? It's SCSI
3 1/2" half-height, but is it SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 ? Does the internal drive on
the NeXTstation care whether it's 1 or 2 ?

/==============================================================\
| lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations       |
| Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall          |
| Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia |
| FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3             |
\==============================================================/

herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) (12/14/90)

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:

>Conner Peripherals Inc.
>3081 Zanker Road
>San Jose, CA 95134
>(408) 456-4500
>
>Markets a 510 MB Hard Disk Drive (Internal) SCSI or IDE interface for
>$1295.00 . From InfoWorld Magazine Nov 5/90 Page 34 states ...

   I too saw this article on comp.sys.next and in INFOWORLD.  I have a
   question, though.  Aren't Conner drives supposed to have a terrible
   reputation for breakdown?

   I once read a comparison of the MTBF stats on a number of manufacturers
   drives, and the Connor drives were at about 20,000 hours, whereas drives
   by companies like Maxtor came in around 150,000.  20,000 hours is less
   than three years of continuous operation, which doesn't seem like a lot.
   I know, I know, I'm not supposed to pay attention to such statistics, but
   when companies like HP and Fujitsu are offering 5 year warrenties on their
   drives, buying from Conner seems somewhat risky.

								- Max

William R. Herndon
Secure Computing Technology Corp.                  The opinions expressed are
                                                   mine, ALL MINE!  HEH, HEH,
herndon@sctc.com				   HEH, HEH!!!
(612) 482-7431

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (12/14/90)

In article <wcL6T1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:

> Markets a 510 MB Hard Disk Drive (Internal) SCSI or IDE interface for
> $1295.00 . From InfoWorld Magazine Nov 5/90 Page 34 states ...
>
> "At the high end is the Summit series, with half-height 3 1/2" drive that
> provides 510MB of formateed storage. Available in either SCSI (Model

I called Conner and got the spec sheets from them.  It looks pretty
good, but won't ship until "at least April" according to the Conner
rep I spoke with.  I would expect that this announcement will put
some downward pressure on the drive prices come spring.

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker                #    Algorist: Adept at calculations -OED    #