[comp.sys.next] Jobs in Boston

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (11/30/90)

Steve Jobs' presentation at yesterday's BCS meeting was quite
impressive. Here are some things that were mentioned you might be
interested in:

- 15,000 machines were on order at the announcements. This number has
  risen to about 20,000.
- About 2,500 machines will be shipped by the end of this year.
- Steve referred to NeXT's former distribution methods for
  medium-sized companies as a 'dumb idea.' NeXT is looking for
  distribution channels for the general public.
- Novell-client and Appletalk software will be provided in the course
  of next year: as bundled software.
- We can expect some news on video compression next year.

Oh yes, EPS, I'll need your help: the new, patented busy-cursor, is
spinning too fast for my taste: could you write a 'narcissus' to keep
that thing still? :-)

Axel

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (11/30/90)

In <57976@brunix.UUCP> agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) writes:

>- 15,000 machines were on order at the announcements. This number has
>  risen to about 20,000.
>- About 2,500 machines will be shipped by the end of this year.

2,500?????  At that rate, it'll be 7 months to fill all 20,000 orders!
I sure hope this isn't true.  I'll be waiting forever for mine!  Or is
this refering to total machines not machines and cpu upgrades?

-k

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/04/90)

In article <6214@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>In <57976@brunix.UUCP> agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) writes:
>
>>- 15,000 machines were on order at the announcements. This number has
>>  risen to about 20,000.
>>- About 2,500 machines will be shipped by the end of this year.
>
>2,500?????  At that rate, it'll be 7 months to fill all 20,000 orders!
>I sure hope this isn't true.  I'll be waiting forever for mine!  Or is
>this refering to total machines not machines and cpu upgrades?

In the InfoWorld from this week:
"Motorola shipped about 1000 units of the production version of its
68040 processor last week. Production will reach about 1000 units per
day in six to eight weeks, and Motorola will ship at least 250000 of
the chips in 1991[...]"

This explains that even that the production has started, it still does
not mean the chip is available in unlimited quantities.
The price of the processor alone is $595 in quantities of 1000. So the
upgrade is quite cheap.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/05/90)

> The price of the processor alone is $595 in quantities of 1000. So the
> upgrade is quite cheap.

If I were Steve Jobs, I would negotiate a cheaper price based on the
fact that (1) Sun has dropped the 680x0 line of computers, (2) I am
launching a new workstation, which is exceedingly difficult, and am
not yet profitable, and (3) I have the potential to purchase 100,000
CPUs / year within the next 4 years.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (12/16/90)

In article <61300059@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu says:

>> The price of the processor alone is $595 in quantities of 1000. So the
>> upgrade is quite cheap.
>
>If I were Steve Jobs, I would negotiate a cheaper price based on the
>fact that (1) Sun has dropped the 680x0 line of computers, (2) I am
>launching a new workstation, which is exceedingly difficult, and am
>not yet profitable, and (3) I have the potential to purchase 100,000
>CPUs / year within the next 4 years.

The price of the NeXTstation is sooo low that I would guess
Steve has already done good bargaining with Moto. Hell, $595 is
one big chunk of a $4995 computer, then there is the price of the
HD, memory, monitor, motherboard, case, software, etc, etc, etc. etc.
(This is not to mention the give-away prices of NeXTstationsfor
higher ed.) How in the world do they do it? This has got to be
the bargain of the century.

>Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''