[comp.sys.next] It's arriving Tuesday!!!

sfisher@apple.com (Stephen Fisher) (12/15/90)

I can't believe it, but our NeXTStation is actually arriving on Tuesday.
That means it's time to start thinking seriously about external disk drives
(we got the 105M internal). The latest MacWeek had the following drives at
reasonable prices:

	MacWren, 337M, 10.5ms
	MacWren, 618M, 16.5ms
	Maxtor,  345M, 14.5ms
	Fujitsu, 345M, ???

Does anyone know if these drives will work on the NeXTStation, and, if so,
how to install them? I'm a disktab neophyte. Also, any feelings about which
drive is "best"?

Thanks for any and all help.
Steve

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) (12/15/90)

In <47374@apple.Apple.COM> sfisher@apple.com (Stephen Fisher) writes:

>I can't believe it, but our NeXTStation is actually arriving on Tuesday.
>That means it's time to start thinking seriously about external disk drives
>(we got the 105M internal). The latest MacWeek had the following drives at
>reasonable prices:

>	MacWren, 337M, 10.5ms
>	MacWren, 618M, 16.5ms
>	Maxtor,  345M, 14.5ms
>	Fujitsu, 345M, ???

>Does anyone know if these drives will work on the NeXTStation, and, if so,
>how to install them? I'm a disktab neophyte. Also, any feelings about which
>drive is "best"?

Well we got ours just yesterday.  Very nice, except NeXT botched the
keyboard.  This new one has a much cheaper feel plus they moved the
backslash and vertical bar to the keypad.  (I guess it's to discourage
people from using a UNIX shell :-> )

But, on to disks...  We got a chance to use the pre-release NextStation
Our university gets a good deal on Rodimes.  We got the older Rodimes
and the newer Rodime Cobras to work.  If anyone wants the specifics I
can point you to the person who actually implemented this.

--
Paul Lindner, Univ. of MN   \ Microcomputer /  Pauls Law: You can't
IT Sun dude, & UofM ACM pres \ Workstation / fall off the floor.

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (12/16/90)

In article <47374@apple.Apple.COM> sfisher@apple.com (Stephen Fisher) writes:

[what drive to get, since NeXTstation is a'comin!]

>	MacWren, 337M, 10.5ms
>	MacWren, 618M, 16.5ms
>	Maxtor,  345M, 14.5ms
>	Fujitsu, 345M, ???

I have the Fujitsu 415M (unformatted) drive, although it isn't hooked up to
my NeXTstation yet (lack o' SCSI 2 cable).  It was plugged into a NeXTcube
and it just kinda said 'this drive is unformatted, do you wish to format it?'
and poof, it's formatted.

>Does anyone know if these drives will work on the NeXTStation, and, if so,
>how to install them? I'm a disktab neophyte. Also, any feelings about which
>drive is "best"?

Best is relative.  The Fujitsu I have is 16ms, the same as the internal disk.

>Thanks for any and all help.
>Steve

De nada.  This is my first post *from* my NeXTstation!  Hehehehehehehehehe.
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu/matthews@umdd (bitnet).
------
[fortune ain't working yet...]