[comp.sys.next] NeXT projects

cyliax@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (12/03/90)

Here are some projects I'm considering for the NeXT. There is no way
I can do all of them, so I will have to narrow it down to 1 or 2. What
I would like is some input on what is needed most and what features are
needed.

- NeXTStep oriented backup frontend to Bsd dump/restore (Exabyte, DAT, OD ?)
- NeXTStep oriented tape utilities, tape positioning, tar/cpio/dd
	(this might tie into the Backup utility as well)
- NeXTStep based CAI (Computer Aided Instruction) Software, text & voice now,
	multimedia later (CDRom, Video Disks ?) I think there are already
	some products like this.

- slip/PPP with autodialout (I need more info. on Mach dev. drivers on NeXT
	for this)
- ISDN software using the DSP
- Minix, using Mach threads....

- Serial port board  (actually not really needed, since one can use annex
	boxen etc.)
- NeXT -> VMEBus adapter

I expect developing NeXT boards will be expensive, since the volumes would
initially be low, I haven't even looked at the developers set yet. Has anyone
on the net developed any boards yet ?

Thanks, -ingo
--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.145326.18906@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:

>Here are some projects I'm considering for the NeXT. There is no way
>I can do all of them, so I will have to narrow it down to 1 or 2. What
>I would like is some input on what is needed most and what features are
>needed.
>

>- NeXTStep oriented backup frontend to Bsd dump/restore (Exabyte, DAT, OD ?)
A good backup system(easy to use etc.) would be welcome and needed
(especially backing up to the new 2.8 floppy drives.) NeXT is suppose
to be the easy to use Unix machine, yet this critical feature seems
only accessable from the Unix level. I know several NeXT Station
buyers who want to know how to do backups to the 2.8 Floppy (I have
seen many files-Mathematica graphics, PS, etc-bigger than 2.8 Megs,
so it is not clear how these are backed up. I've been told Unix will
do this.) I generally use tar, but feel that a good dump/restore
utility would be most welcome for those weekly(daily?) backups.

>- slip/PPP with autodialout (I need more info. on Mach dev. drivers on NeXT
>	for this)
Everyone is waiting for this one!!

>Thanks, -ingo
Your welcome

>--
>/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
> *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *
> *          ing@cc.purdue.edu    Work: (317) 494-9523                       *
> *         cyliax@pur-ee.UUCP    Home: (317) 474-0031                       */

-Charlie

(Let's hope the Boilermakers have a better time with B-ball than
they did with football!)

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec3.145326.18906@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>,
cyliax@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) says:

>Here are some projects I'm considering for the NeXT. There is no way
>I can do all of them, so I will have to narrow it down to 1 or 2. What
>I would like is some input on what is needed most and what features are
>needed.

[ text deleted ]

>- NeXTStep based CAI (Computer Aided Instruction) Software, text & voice now,
>        multimedia later (CDRom, Video Disks ?) I think there are already
>        some products like this.
[ text deleted ]

I believe there is a GuidedTour app in 2.0. I haven't tried it so
I really don't know if it's as fancy as the one your are proposing.
Has anyone checked this app out in 2.0?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (12/16/90)

In article <90349.130952SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:

> I believe there is a GuidedTour app in 2.0. I haven't tried it so
> I really don't know if it's as fancy as the one your are proposing.
> Has anyone checked this app out in 2.0?

The GuidedTour is written in part by Peter Birns, formerly of NeXT's
User Ed group.  It's a five minute demonstration of the machine,
covering basic interaction with applications and the File Viewer.
Quite professionally done, too.

For non-interactive CAI (just sit back and watch the computer
perform), ShowAndTell is probably the way to go.

Declan McCullagh
Independent NeXT Developer

In article <Dec.15.15.30.18.1990.17141@remus.rutgers.edu>
	declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) writes:
>The GuidedTour is written in part by Peter Birns, formerly of NeXT's
>User Ed group.  It's a five minute demonstration of the machine,

But who supplied the voice?

					-=EPS=-