[comp.sys.next] NeXT audio vs. Mac w/ sound tools

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (12/16/90)

The following message is from a friend of mine.  I will be sure to get
of his friends call him that at the office :-):

 	I am considering picking up either a mac II ci w/ digidesign sound
tools or a next .What are the smpte and midi lock capabilities of the next and
more importantly how expensive are they vs the mac digidesign package . Is any
one using the next in a professional audio situation ? responses apreciated ,
-Mr. Satan--
langz@asylum.sf.ca.us         "Karma means `getting caught.'  The secret to
not creating karma is getting even without getting caught." --Rodent Kapoor

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (12/17/90)

In article <13210@asylum.SF.CA.US> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:
> 	I am considering picking up either a mac II ci w/ digidesign sound
>tools or a next .What are the smpte and midi lock capabilities of the next and
>more importantly how expensive are they vs the mac digidesign package . Is any
>one using the next in a professional audio situation ? responses apreciated ,

Mac is a better choice if he/she wants a "turnkey" system, but the NeXT is
more extensible (and with lots of PD software, too -- csound, cmix, cmusic,
etc.).  I don't know that any SMPTE sync systems currently exist for the
NeXT, but I do know of two guys (Andy Milburn and Tom Hajdu, aka tamandandy,
inc.) who are doing extensive commercial work with a couple of cubes.  They're
the guys responsible for "BUZZ" in MTV, plus a lot of the fast-cut glitzo
MTV-style commercials on the tube (I think Reebok and/or Nike are some of their
clients).

NeXT gives you more, price-wise (DSP, faster processor, disk space, etc.)
but doesn't have all the MIDI software the Mac does.

Brad Garton
Music Dept.
brad@woof.columbia.edu