[comp.sys.next] Software crisis?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.030626.6208@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@brewmaster.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:

   4. What applications would you see as replacing the following Mac applications:

	Mac                             Next
	---                             ----

	Adobe Illustrator               Adobe Illustrator
	Excel                           Improv
	MacDraw                         ?
	Kaleidagraph                    ?
	Word                            ?
	PageMaker                       ?
	PowerPoint                      ?

   On each of the 4 questions, please feel free to comment on personal
   experiences.

Word          Word Perfect
PageMaker     FrameMaker, and Quark XPress 3.0 sometime next year

I recall Steve Jobs saying that there would be 100 applications
available for the NeXT by the end of the year.  Well, the new year is
almost here, and I don't think that his expectations are going to be
met.  The number of applications aren't that important, but there is
some software missing from a few of the major food groups.  Is anyone
developing software in these categories?

Accounting
CAD  -- A high-end and low-end product are needed.
Presentation Software
Project Management

What else am I forgetting?

-Mike

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (12/18/90)

In article <Fbqd4&t3@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) says:

>some software missing from a few of the major food groups.  Is anyone
>developing software in these categories?

>Accounting
>CAD  -- A high-end and low-end product are needed.
>Presentation Software
>Project Management

>What else am I forgetting?

Some CASE tools come to mind.  Structured Analysis, DFD, etc.  Like
Excelerator for msdos, or STP for Unix.

                                       lee