[comp.sys.next] Maxtor or Fujitsu?

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) (12/13/90)

    Thanks to all those who have responded so helpfully to my previous
message.

    From those responces I have narrowed down my choice for ~660 meg
drive to Maxtor and Fujitsu.  I can get both for similar price and
warrantee.  I will probably take the the quieter of the two, I remember
reading somewhere Fujitsu is tad bit noisy. How quiet is Maxtor?

ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon Univ.

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (12/13/90)

In article <IbNbGqW00Uh_M243sx@andrew.cmu.edu> ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jinmo Ahn) writes:

>    Thanks to all those who have responded so helpfully to my previous
>message.
>
>    From those responces I have narrowed down my choice for ~660 meg
>drive to Maxtor and Fujitsu.  I can get both for similar price and
>warrantee.  I will probably take the the quieter of the two, I remember
>reading somewhere Fujitsu is tad bit noisy. How quiet is Maxtor?
>
>ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
>Carnegie Mellon Univ.

I don't know--the fan noise more than drowns out any hard disk noise.

The OD on the other hand...

-Charlie

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (12/14/90)

Ahn) writes:

|> >    Thanks to all those who have responded so helpfully to my previous
|> >message.
|> >
|> >    From those responces I have narrowed down my choice for ~660 meg
|> >drive to Maxtor and Fujitsu.  I can get both for similar price and
|> >warrantee.  I will probably take the the quieter of the two, I remember
|> >reading somewhere Fujitsu is tad bit noisy. How quiet is Maxtor?
|> >
|> >ja2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
|> >Carnegie Mellon Univ.
|>

|> I don't know--the fan noise more than drowns out any hard disk noise.
|>
|> The OD on the other hand...

That's true the OD is alot louder than the Fuji drive. I have had both
a Fuji 2261 and a Maxtor LXT200S installed. The Maxtor was as quiet as
the accelerator disk. You can hear the Fuji accesing, but not running.
I went with the Fuji mainly because of the 5 Yr. warranty.

-ingo

--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

tim@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay) (12/18/90)

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:

>That's true the OD is alot louder than the Fuji drive. I have had both
>a Fuji 2261 and a Maxtor LXT200S installed. The Maxtor was as quiet as
>the accelerator disk. You can hear the Fuji accesing, but not running.
>I went with the Fuji mainly because of the 5 Yr. warranty.

I'd like to make two corrections to this posting.

	1.  Fujitsu and Fuji are two differnt companies

	2.  Maxtor also offers a five-year warranty

Tim