[comp.sys.next] NXHost between OS 2.0 and OS 1.0a

schneidj@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (John B. Schneider) (12/18/90)

I have had no success using the -NXHost flag on an OS 2.0 machine when
the target machine is an OS 1.0a machine.  Am I doing something
incorrectly or are these machines not on speaking terms?  (I have no
problem with getting 1.0a machines to behave properly, so that
rules out the obvious explanations like not setting Public Window
Server.)  I would think that we should be able to use some 040's as
compute servers for our 1.0a 030's (at least until we receive all our
upgrades).

--
John B. Schneider
schneidj@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu

moose@svc.portal.com (12/18/90)

In article <9012171803.AA03446@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu> schneidj@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (John B. Schneider) writes:
>I have had no success using the -NXHost flag on an OS 2.0 machine when
>the target machine is an OS 1.0a machine.  Am I doing something
>incorrectly or are these machines not on speaking terms?  (I have no

Yes, you are not reading the documentation.  It clearly states in the release
notes that -NXHost only works between machines of the same major release.
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (12/18/90)

In article <9012171803.AA03446@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu>, schneidj@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (John B. Schneider) writes:
> I have had no success using the -NXHost flag on an OS 2.0 machine when
> the target machine is an OS 1.0a machine.  Am I doing something
> incorrectly or are these machines not on speaking terms?  (I have no
> problem with getting 1.0a machines to behave properly, so that
> rules out the obvious explanations like not setting Public Window
> Server.)  I would think that we should be able to use some 040's as
> compute servers for our 1.0a 030's (at least until we receive all our
> upgrades).

Your second guess was correct - the machines aren't on speaking terms.
From ReleaseNotes/AppKit.rtf:

	You cannot run an application over the network from a 1.0
machine to a 2.0 machine or vice versa (i.e. NXHost only works between
machines of the same major release version).

Declan McCullagh
Independent NeXT Developer

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (12/19/90)

Not possible.  Incompatible DPS stuff.  Get everyone to change to 2.0 (or if there are CL users, etc. you're probably going to have to live with the problem).

Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679