[comp.sys.next] Problem with Emacs

dave@ironcity.gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) (12/15/90)

Hi guys, quick (and hopefully easy) question about running
emacs on the next.  I am using 1.0 (for now) and am having trouble
starting up a shell.  I get a prompt, but also the warning:

  Incomplete termcap entry.  Editing disabled.

and some garbage on my window.  So, of course, I can't use any full
screen applications.   I know a little about termcap,
but not much, and I know for sure I haven't done anything
to it, and nor would anyone else using this machine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

David K. Codelli                  |"Are you sure you don't want some-
Georgia Institute of Technology   | thing for the pain, Col. Flagg?
Internet: gt7315a@prism.gatech.edu| I mean, to make it worse!"
NeXTMail: dave@ironcity.gatech.edu|                        -Hawkeye

dave@ironcity.gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) (12/19/90)

In article <18731@hydra.gatech.EDU> dave%ironcity.gatech.edu@gatech.edu (David K. Codelli) writes:
>Hi guys, quick (and hopefully easy) question about running
>emacs on the next.  I am using 1.0 (for now) and am having trouble
>starting up a shell.  I get a prompt, but also the warning:
>
>  Incomplete termcap entry.  Editing disabled.
>
>and some garbage on my window.  So, of course, I can't use any full
>screen applications.   I know a little about termcap,
>but not much, and I know for sure I haven't done anything
>to it, and nor would anyone else using this machine.

Thanks to all those who responded to my original posting.

I received several responses by mail, most of which advised me to
use the Terminal application or obtain Scott Hess's Stuart.
Unfortunately, I had already tried with Terminal, and once I
obtained Stuart (check's in the mail, Scott) I started getting
the error,

	Opening pty - permission denied

even in Terminal.  The other solutions I received did not work, either.

Does this mean something is wrong with my termcap?