[comp.sys.next] NeXT file system vs. standard ones

nwc@galileo.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) (12/19/90)

As I build more and more public domain software and file out /usr/local more
and more the guild get greater and greater.

Where do most people put software like emacs .el files? I built
/usr/local/emacs/lisp out of habbit.

How about public domain filters - they are not aplications so /LocalApps seemed
wrong so I shove them in /usr/local/bin.

Is they a standard "Tao of NeXT" way to deal these? Or are people winging it
like me?

--
 \n
 	Nicholas Christopher (212) 464-3837

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/20/90)

In article <NWC.90Dec19082954@galileo.shearson.com> nwc@sisyphus.shearson.com writes:
>As I build more and more public domain software and file out /usr/local more
>and more the guild get greater and greater.
>Where do most people put software like emacs .el files? I built
>/usr/local/emacs/lisp out of habbit.
>How about public domain filters - they are not aplications so /LocalApps seemed
>wrong so I shove them in /usr/local/bin.

I build a copy of /usr under /usr/local
thus I have a /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/src
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/include
/usr/local/man
/usr/local/etc
etc.

For some of these things to work you have to add things to your path,
libpath and manpath environment variables. But it seems the cleanest
way to me.

Of course I have for NeXT specific stuff (i.e. NextStep interfaced
things) also a /LocalLibrary, /LocalApps, /LocalAdmin, /LocalDeveloper
and their respective subdirectories.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet