[comp.sys.next] Problems with 2.0

zst6311@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Naugle) (12/19/90)

I just installed 2.0 and I am having tons of problems.
What I don't understand is that everyone else in this newsgroup
seems to be OK, so I guess there is something wrong with me.

Problems :

News, the news reader with NextStep interface, doesn't work anymore.
I can't even tell the author, because I can't get to the About... box.
Other news reader (rn, gnus,...) work fine, so ???

When I log out, I have to kill the window server to log back in.
In other words, if I log out, and then try to log in, the login window
goes away when I type Return after the password, but comes back after
a couple seconds. So I have to log in as 'exit' (i.e. kill the window
server), and only then can I log in.

I can't print anymore ! I have a Sun set up as a print server. It is
used by the whole network, and is working fine for everyone, and was
working fine for the Next until I installed 2.0, but now the print
jobs get partially transmitted and then get lost.

LockScreen is now useless, since the title bar of the big window used to
cover the screen is visible.

What's going on ? Am I really the only one experiencing these problems ?

By the way, I really like 2.0, it's got lots of nice things, but I am
surprised by all these problems.

Max Tardiveau
Department of Computer Science
University of St.Thomas
St.Paul, MN  55105
Internet : m9tardiv@cs.stthomas.edu
"Never call a man a fool; borrow from him."

zst6311@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Naugle) (12/20/90)

I posted a message here yesterday describing my woes with 2.0
Since then, I received a few helpful messages that other people
might find interesting.

My problem with printing was a known bug, explained in a note
published a few hours after my message (to make me look bad, probably :-).

My problem with the window server (not being able to log in with killing
the window server first) was due to my use of MOTD's logouthook, which fixed
a bug in 1.0 but has undesirable effects in 2.0.

My problem with LockScreen is another known bug. Wait for the new version
of the program (which should come out soon now).

Finally, nobody who wrote me used News, so I don't know if other people
have the same problem.

Thanks to all who helped. Overall, I'd say 2.0 has not been too painful
to install (considerably less than a Sun OS release, in any case).

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/20/90)

In article <2919@ux.acs.umn.edu> m9tardiv@cs.stthomas.edu (Max Tardiveau) writes:

>I just installed 2.0 and I am having tons of problems.
>What I don't understand is that everyone else in this newsgroup
>seems to be OK, so I guess there is something wrong with me.

You are not the only one, but at the moment I'm busy to collect all
the bugs in a list to send it to NeXT. This is more helpful than to
bitch about the new release. It is easy to see that many things,
especially most of the apps in /NextDeveloper/Demos/ are so fragile
that they can't be used at all for anything reasonable. Obviously NeXT
was busy enough debugging the OS so that there was no time left to
debug the goodies. I hope that we soon get a release 2.1 (2.0a won't
do it this time...) However as I need to use 2.0 (got my '040) I
rather shut up and isolate the bugs as good as possible.

>Problems :
>[...]
>When I log out, I have to kill the window server to log back in.
>In other words, if I log out, and then try to log in, the login window
>goes away when I type Return after the password, but comes back after
>a couple seconds. So I have to log in as 'exit' (i.e. kill the window
>server), and only then can I log in.

If you have Motd.app installed as a login hook, deinstall it. It does
provoke the efffects you mention. Is there a new version in the works,BTY?

>I can't print anymore ! I have a Sun set up as a print server. It is
>used by the whole network, and is working fine for everyone, and was
>working fine for the Next until I installed 2.0, but now the print
>jobs get partially transmitted and then get lost.

There is a known problem with remote non-next printers. There was a
posting about it a while ago. I have no solution.

>LockScreen is now useless, since the title bar of the big window used to
>cover the screen is visible.
Well, I thought that binary compatible meant that but there must be
some changes in how screen coordinates are interpreted.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

walters@grebyn.com (Chris Walters) (12/20/90)

Ok,

Here is my first set of problems with 2.0.

We upgraded our NetInfo server to 2.0 and the '040; fine, no
problem.

We then proceeded to upgrade another machine.  We forgot to
correct the Ethernet address in the NetManager application
before rebooting the "new" cube, but it found the NetInfo server
somehow and booted up.

The problem came when I went to NetManager and opened up the
'/' domain to correct the entry.  There were now duplicate entries
(the hosts were listed twice, both the server and client) in the
list.  I then blithely deleted one of the duplicates; that's when
it all fell apart.  The server hung, and still is.

I guess I got the "wrong" entry, but I am not so sure it was all
my fault!  It seems pretty poor that the duplicates were there
to begin with and I think NetInfo/NetManager is to blame.
If anyone has any ideas about how to fix this without
reinstalling I'd like to hear about them!

Can anyone point to any general guidelines on rebuilding corrupted
NetInfo .nidb files?  Have I missed this in the FM?

Another problem:  printing to a DEC Printserver 20 via a VAX.
It didn't work in 1.0a and it doesn't work in 2.0, and the recently
announced patch doesn't help.  Which printer type should be
selected for the 'ty' printers entry?  All print jobs make it
to the printer, which terminates the print job with the message
"deleting current job".  Any pointers on this one would also
be appreciated.
  -- Chris