[comp.sys.next] Power-up/power-down

herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) (12/19/90)

    I am interested in any opinions that people have on leaving one's NeXT
    cube on continuously.

    Since NeXT so conveniently put the power key right on the keyboard, I
    have been of the impression that NeXT intends the machines to be
    turned off when not in use.  ( In fact, I believe that my documentation
    also alluded to this position. )

    However, I am intending to set my machine up with a uucp connection to
    a local server of the Internet and am thinking that leaving it on all
    the time would be a good idea.  ( No doubt that I'll forget to turn it
    on some days, at the proper time, and thus will not receive my mail,
    news, etc. )

    Opinions?

								- Max

William R. Herndon
Secure Computing Technology Corp.                  The opinions expressed are
                                                   mine, ALL MINE!  HEH, HEH,
herndon@sctc.com				   HEH, HEH!!!
(612) 482-7431

In article <1990Dec18.192621.500@sctc.com> herndon@sctc.com
	(William R. Herndon) writes:
>    I am interested in any opinions that people have on leaving one's NeXT
>    cube on continuously.

It's not just a good idea, it's essential for proper function.

>    Since NeXT so conveniently put the power key right on the keyboard, I
>    have been of the impression that NeXT intends the machines to be
>    turned off when not in use.  ( In fact, I believe that my documentation
>    also alluded to this position. )

Ever use a Mac II?  What's the power key on the keyboard for?
(I'll give you a hint: it's not for turning the machine off)

Your documentation was written by someone who mistook the NeXT
for a PC.

>    However, I am intending to set my machine up with a uucp connection to
>    a local server of the Internet and am thinking that leaving it on all
>    the time would be a good idea.  ( No doubt that I'll forget to turn it
>    on some days, at the proper time, and thus will not receive my mail,
>    news, etc. )

That's the least of your problems.  Hardwarewise, it's less
stressful to be on all the time (maintains a more constant
temperature, reduces condensation, corrosion, and dust buildup,
extends CRT life (but dim the screen)).  Softwarewise, the
cron stuff will run when it's supposed to, and you won't have
to wait five minutes (or whatever) every time you power up,
you can use the "at" facility, etc.

					-=EPS=-

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (12/20/90)

>Your documentation was written by someone who mistook the NeXT
>for a PC.

It is a PC. The cube is a personal computer. It is a PC. The cube is a
personal computer. The network is not the computer. Are we clear on this?
Class dismissed.

I see nothing special about the NeXT that makes it any more sensitive
to corrosion, dust buildup or condensation than the average garden
variety PC clone. Turn it off and on as often as you like. If it
were a workstation they wouldn't hide all of the bootup gobbledegook that
you normally see when you boot up a Sun machine. Set up your crontab to
look at your mail at half hour intervals when it's on, what difference
does it make if you're on uunet? Can you not set your connection interval
at daily or something?

--
Gary T. Lang  (415)332-2344 x2702
Autodesk, Inc.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/20/90)

In article <1493@autodesk.COM> glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) writes:
>you normally see when you boot up a Sun machine. Set up your crontab to
>look at your mail at half hour intervals when it's on, what difference
>does it make if you're on uunet? Can you not set your connection interval
>at daily or something?

beacause for one it is not good for a PC either to be turned on and
off all the time. The fact that some people do it does not mean it is
good. Second, some of the tasks are set up to be done at 2 am. So if
you never work at 2, your NeXT will never do them if it is always shut
down at 2. Unfortunately it is not possible to turn of the MegaPixel
Display without turning off the cube, otherwise one could turn off the
display for the night (would save engergy and prevent any burn-in).
But as it is, my cube as well as all the SUNs of the departement here
run 24h/day 7day/week. (at least if they don't crash...)

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet