[net.auto] police honesty/infallability

pataky@gymble.UUCP (Bill Pataky) (11/03/85)

In article <1125@hou2h.UUCP> you write:

>> >Your problem with speeding makes my heart bleed.  If you
>> >had said you were cited for doing 42 in a 35 zone, I might
>> >have had some sympathy.  But, 59 in a 35?  Come on now,
>> >who do you expect will think you have been victimized?
>> >T. C. Wheeler
>>
>> another good German who believes in the integrity of the state and its minions
>> From: mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &)
>
>What is this "good German" stuff doing in net.auto?  The fact is that
>doing 59 in a 35 zone is illegal!  I also have no sympathy for this victim.
>
>If T.C. were tagged for 59 in a 55, I could argue that the police
>were using poor judgement.  But all rational people, including Germans,
>know that 59 in a 35 is stupid.
>
>I think Lawrence J. & owes all Germans an apology.  And By the way,

If both of you guys look at the original articl, the guy says, that he wasn't
doing 59.  He also says that he knew there was a speed trap because of people
flashing lights, and he drives there regularly, and knows that the area is
heavily patrolled.
   Agreed, the replier's reference to the German people could be offensive,
but the point I beleive he was trying to make was, T. C. Wheeler blindly
believed the cop and that not questioning authority (especially when they are
wrong) is dangerous to society.
   To rephrase the problem, The guy who got the ticket knows that he wasn't
speeding.  If in fact he wasn't speeding, either the cop was lying, and he
doesn't know what possible recourse he has, or the cop made an honest
mistake, which again brings up the problem of recourse.
   The last time I checked, the police were still people, and I'm not sure,
but I believe people could be wrong from time to time.  But then, I could
be wrong! :-)

	Bill Pataky

	Parallel Processing Lab
	Department of Computer Science
	University of Maryland

	pataky@gymble.umd.edu

eli@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (11/04/85)

>>> another good German who believes in the integrity of the state and its minions
>>> From: mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &)
>>
>>What is this "good German" stuff doing in net.auto?  The fact is that
>>doing 59 in a 35 zone is illegal!  I also have no sympathy for this victim.
>>
>>If T.C. were tagged for 59 in a 55, I could argue that the police
>>were using poor judgement.  But all rational people, including Germans,
>>know that 59 in a 35 is stupid.
>>
>>I think Lawrence J. & owes all Germans an apology.  And By the way,
>
>If both of you guys look at the original articl, the guy says, that he wasn't
>doing 59.  He also says that he knew there was a speed trap because of people
>flashing lights, and he drives there regularly, and knows that the area is
>heavily patrolled.
>   Agreed, the replier's reference to the German people could be offensive,
>but the point I beleive he was trying to make was, T. C. Wheeler blindly
>believed the cop and that not questioning authority (especially when they are
>wrong) is dangerous to society.
>   To rephrase the problem, The guy who got the ticket knows that he wasn't
>speeding.  If in fact he wasn't speeding, either the cop was lying, and he
>doesn't know what possible recourse he has, or the cop made an honest
>mistake, which again brings up the problem of recourse.
>   The last time I checked, the police were still people, and I'm not sure,
>but I believe people could be wrong from time to time.  But then, I could
>be wrong! :-)
>
>	Bill Pataky

Bravo!  It seems like too many people take the voice of authority as gospel.
To put it a little tritely, People are human and can make mistake either
accidentally or on purpose...

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: eli@cvl, eli@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: eli@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!eli