[comp.sys.next] Selling Usenet news

danr@autodesk.com (Dan Rosenfeld) (12/18/90)

Did anyone else notice the listing of new NeXT products in the Dec. 10
issue of Microtimes (a S.F. Bay area weekly) ?  A company called
Lighthouse Design is apparently selling an optical disk of various
NeXT-useful stuff, but what caught my attention was the line "It also
includes one year of NeXT-specific Usenet network news ..."

I was wondering how people on the net felt about the possibility that
their contributions to net news discussions could become part of a
commercial product.  Has this been discussed before?

Dan Rosenfeld   danr@autodesk.com

(    )         "Enjoy life, eat out more often."
 o) o)
 moo

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (12/18/90)

People can read my words of wisdom for free on any USENET site in the
world.  What do I care if some people are silly enough to actually pay
money for this nonsense.

I think that its much like the GNU software; you can get it for free
from any number of places, but some folks find it easiest to give
someone money to get it for them.

louie

blenko-tom@cs.yale.edu (Tom Blenko) (12/18/90)

|I was wondering how people on the net felt about the possibility that
|their contributions to net news discussions could become part of a
|commercial product.  Has this been discussed before?

I feel fine about it.

Information provided on the net is used to commercial advantage in a
variety of ways, and has since its inception.

	Tom

moose@svc.portal.com (12/19/90)

In article <danr.661466912@melange> danr@autodesk.com (Dan Rosenfeld) writes:

>Lighthouse Design is apparently selling an optical disk of various
>NeXT-useful stuff, but what caught my attention was the line "It also
>includes one year of NeXT-specific Usenet network news ..."
>I was wondering how people on the net felt about the possibility that
>their contributions to net news discussions could become part of a
>commercial product.  Has this been discussed before?

Considering that half the useful information on this newsgroup comes out of
LightHouse Design, It might be argued that they are only selling their own
information :->.

Seriously, if you look at the price, you will notice that they are probably
only breaking even.  I would not be surprised to hear they are taking a loss
by providing this service.
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (12/19/90)

                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>NeXT-useful stuff, but what caught my attention was the line "It also
>includes one year of NeXT-specific Usenet network news ..."
>
>I was wondering how people on the net felt about the possibility that
>their contributions to net news discussions could become part of a
>commercial product.  Has this been discussed before?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They are not selling software!!!!!!  They are giving the software away.
What you are paying for is:
1. The media the software is on.
2. You are also paying for their time and effort in compiling this stuff.

THE SOFTWARE IS FREE!!!!!!

BTW - If someone gets the disk, wouldn't you feel good that you may have
helped someone new to the NeXT world.

>Dan Rosenfeld   danr@autodesk.com
>
>(    )         "Enjoy life, eat out more often."
> o) o)
> moo
>  --
>
>--
            KeNT - I need a NeXTstation BaD.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (12/19/90)

In article <08ld02QC04Da01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>They are not selling software![...]
>What you are paying for is:
>1. The media the software is on.
>2. You are also paying for their time and effort in compiling this stuff.

If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck and it smells like a
duck, then it IS a duck.
_-_-_-_-_
-_-_-_-_-Chuck Herrick <cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu>
  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.
				  ___
				 / | \
				 |- -|
				 \_|_/

--
_-_-_-_-_

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (12/19/90)

>I was wondering how people on the net felt about the possibility that
>their contributions to net news discussions could become part of a
>commercial product.  Has this been discussed before?

Dan -

Since the cube is not aimed at the typical net-weenie with ftp access,
the Lighthouse disk has been extremely invaluable in getting the pd
sources for the NeXT as well as the net postings, BuZZNugs, and so on.
We're more inclined to be PC users who didn't know/care about what
USENET/ftp/etc. was until we got our cubes, and were grateful for the
help. That's the way I think most folks see it. Anyway, there's a lot more
than the useful NeXT info that was on the net a year ago on it and they
allow user groups to copy it like crazy so it's not like they're hoarding
the thing...

Hell, I bought one.

- g
--
Gary T. Lang  (415)332-2344 x2702
Autodesk, Inc.

luther@uop.EDU (Pat Luther) (12/20/90)

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:

(About Lighthouse design selling software and usenet news)

>They are not selling software!!!!!!  They are giving the software away.
>What you are paying for is:
>1. The media the software is on.
>2. You are also paying for their time and effort in compiling this stuff.
So how is this not selling software? If I buy WordPerfect, I pay for the
media it's on, and  WP's time and effort in writing it. If you have to
give them money for it, they're selling it.

>THE SOFTWARE IS FREE!!!!!!
You're in marketing, aren't you?

Note, however, that I have nothing against this. If I want to keep something
proprietary, I wouldn't post it on an international computer network.
					??pat

-----
From Pat Luther, Lex's Evil Twin
luther@uop.edu  OR pluther@madvax.uop.edu   (Depending on my mood.....)
 "Damnit, Jim, you're an actor, not an author!"

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (12/20/90)

In article <661640384.12535@zeus.uop.edu> luther@uop.EDU (Pat Luther) writes:
>So how is this not selling software? If I buy WordPerfect, I pay for the
>media it's on, and  WP's time and effort in writing it. If you have to
>give them money for it, they're selling it.

You're also paying for WP's R&D, the largest portion of the
retail price.  I do agree that Lighthouse is selling the
software.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.054557.25331@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>In article <661640384.12535@zeus.uop.edu> luther@uop.EDU (Pat Luther) writes:
>>So how is this not selling software? If I buy WordPerfect, I pay for the
>>media it's on, and  WP's time and effort in writing it. If you have to
>>give them money for it, they're selling it.
>>
>You're also paying for WP's R&D, the largest portion of the
>retail price.  I do agree that Lighthouse is selling the
>software.

	I guess it's open to interpretation as to whether Lighthouse is
	selling information or simply recovering distribution costs.  I
	believe they have indicated that they won't redistribute anyone's
	stuff if the writer objects and they have reminded us that they
	are not the only redistributor (I believe CompuServe is a
	redistributor, for instance).

	My own view is that I'd probably be flattered if someone were to
	redistribute my Usenet musings (not likely) and wouldn't care if
	anything I freely contributed actually were re-sold as opposed to
	just redistributed at cost.  Information provided here is intended
	to be of value to someone and it is of no value to anyone who doesn't
	have access to it (for whatever reason).  Those people who sell
	public domain information or software (and I'm making no judgment as
	to whether Lighthouse belongs in that category) may be providing a
	service -- the buyer is in the best position to judge.

	When you think about it, an editor that filters out flames,
	misinformation and irrelevant material is providing a real service
	that many with "free" Usenet access might be willing to pay
	for anyway.  Which reminds me once again to take the opportunity to
	thank any newsgroup moderators who might be reading this for the
	invaluable services they render us all (yup, for free but it's
	worth paying for).

	Since previous posters have indicated that Lighthouse people are
	cool anyway, you can put me on the list of people who might be
	interested in the information they make available.

	(I have no affiliation with Lighthouse...only know what I read in
	the newsgroup.)

c.f.waltrip <cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu>

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.054557.25331@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>In article <661640384.12535@zeus.uop.edu> luther@uop.EDU (Pat Luther) writes:
>>So how is this not selling software? If I buy WordPerfect, I pay for the
>>media it's on, and  WP's time and effort in writing it. If you have to
>>give them money for it, they're selling it.
>>
>You're also paying for WP's R&D, the largest portion of the
>retail price.  I do agree that Lighthouse is selling the
>software.

Ok, could we stop this discussion? It get old....

By the way, no one doubts they are selling something. The big question
is what they are selling.
If you sell a product you pay R&D, Marketing, Net Profit, Media,
Copying, Documentation. Then you also sell for PROFIT.
If you sell a service, you don't sell the software. e.g. FSF sells
tapes with their software. Nevertheless they do not sell any software,
they sell a copy service. (Ever thought your copy shop next door sells
books just because they let you copy some?) Thus you pay for their
time and media.
If they would sell for profit (which I doubt) then you would also pay
for marketing etc. I have never seen such marketing and thus I guess
it does not exist.
So yes they sell it, no, they don't do it for a profit that would be
worth bothering (if any).

You can also show this as a 2 by 2 matrix: profit vs. non-profit on
one axis, service selling vs. software selling on the other.
I think it is a non-profit service and thus a great thing, and if it
spreads their name and help sell their other i.e. real products then
so be it.

In case you have read up to here and still not realized that this
whole passage makes fun of the whole discussion then here are the
smilies:
 :-) :-) :-Q

Ufff. That's it.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (12/21/90)

Those people here that are so concerned about people "selling" their
postings can just go to Prodigy and they'll never have to worry about that
again.

I bought the disk for the GNU stuff, to look at the XNeXT stuff, get
Emacs, play with the NeXT Camp stuff, and in general get a bunch of software
without spending a lot of time trying to get ftp access, reading netnews, etc.

These people saved me more money than I sent them and deserve praise, not
a rebuke. Thanks Lighthouse.

- g
--
Gary T. Lang  (415)332-2344 x2702
Autodesk, Inc.
Sausalito, CA.
MCI: 370-0730

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (12/21/90)

I have no problems with Lighthouse selling Usenet stuff.  My
that they were selling software.