[comp.sys.next] NetInfo Idea

jasmerb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (12/22/90)

In article <1061@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>[some comment on "nidump passwd . > /etc/passwd" deleted.]
>Which does NOT work in the general case (only for standalone
>workstations), and does not export ALL of the information in the
>database because there is no way of representing it in
>/etc/passwd format.

Well, it is that time again. I'm building 2.0 on my computer right now
so I have nothing better to do so I thought I would post some news (from
a Mac IIfx I'm sorry to say.)

As I was dumping out the information from NetInfo I started thinking how
nice it would be to not only store ethenet numbers for the machines but
also the serial numbers (cube, keyboard, mouse, etc.) in NetInfo. This would
keep it all in a nice logical place.

I haven't done this yet, so I'm only 99% sure it will work. I should be able
to open up NetInfoManager and just create new properties for each machine.
If I wanted to write a tool (like UserManager) with a NeXT interface, it
would be pretty simple since the NetInfo routines are available.

So has anyone else though of doing something similar (storing additional
info in NetInfo?) What other kinds of information do you store in NetInfo?

Well, the build should be done pretty soon, its on /NextLibrary.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@ohsu.edu