[comp.sys.next] 68040 + System 2.0 = :-)

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (12/20/90)

I have just received my 68040 and System 2.0 upgrade. It is great! It is
fast, and so far, FrameMaker (one of my most important applications) works
fine after upgrading to 2.0c. Everything runs so much faster! At last, I
don't have to provide any apologies for the performance of the NeXT nor do
I have to waste time waiting for FrameMaker to re-draw the screen.
Overall, the observed performance increase in most applications is two to
three (or two-and-a-half, if you want to be conservative) times!

My HSD Scan-X Professional scanner seems to work fine most of the time, but
it froze on me twice after 3/4 of the way through a "Scan Enhanced". Mind
you, I only have the chance to use the scanner about six times since installing
the upgrades. I was told by Kevin at HSD Inc. (nice people) that the System 2.0
Scan-X software hasn't been released yet because they haven't receive their
'040 and System 2.0 upgrade! BTW, is there a way to e-mail HSD through the net?
If so, what's the mail address? HSD is a long-distance call from where I am
(the Great White North).

Someone mentioned that SCSI-2 to SCSI-1 cable may not be available until
early 1991. I managed to buy one (at retail ... arrgh!) from a local NeXT
dealer (to be ... they haven't officially start selling yet) who convinced
a NeXT official travelling from the head office to bring some with him.

I am quite interested in the built-in fax support in 2.0. Besides what's
found in the product catalogue, is there any other source for 2.0-compatible
fax modems?

:-) :-) :-)
Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

--
 ***************** "Happiness is a warm gun ... " ***************
 |    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!     |

ty@cypress.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (12/21/90)

>I have just received my 68040 and System 2.0 upgrade. It is great! It is
>fast, and so far, FrameMaker (one of my most important applications) works
>fine after upgrading to 2.0c. Everything runs so much faster! At last, I
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How much do we have to pay for this 2.0c upgrade ?
I received upgrade notice from Frame Inc. a while ago.
Don't remember the detail, only remember I dumped that letter into trash can
after I figured out I need $400 to get v2.?? upgrade.
Upgrade price is almost the same price ($500)when I buy FrameMaker.

I felt ripped off later ;-<

It is unfair that Frame didn't notice their customer they have HIGH upgrade
price.

== Tyng-Jing Yang  -- A guilty NeXTCuber                                 ==
==                                                                       ==
== NeXT -- A machine that makes me feel guilty not making good use of it ==

cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) (12/22/90)

In article <TY.90Dec20170837@cypress.cis.ufl.edu> ty@cypress.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) writes:

>>I have just received my 68040 and System 2.0 upgrade. It is great! It is
>>fast, and so far, FrameMaker (one of my most important applications) works
>>fine after upgrading to 2.0c. Everything runs so much faster! At last, I
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>How much do we have to pay for this 2.0c upgrade ?
>I received upgrade notice from Frame Inc. a while ago.
>Don't remember the detail, only remember I dumped that letter into trash can
>after I figured out I need $400 to get v2.?? upgrade.
>Upgrade price is almost the same price ($500)when I buy FrameMaker.
>
>I felt ripped off later ;-<
>
>It is unfair that Frame didn't notice their customer they have HIGH upgrade
>price.

	I recall a previous poster noted that he had purchased FrameMaker, put
	in a lot of work helping Frame debug FrameMaker so that it would
	provide the functionality that Frame claimed for it when they sold it
	to him but then, as I understood the posting, would not provide him
	with fixes to the version that he had bought except via their
	expensive upgrade.  I never saw a response from Frame about that
	posting so don't know what their policy is but, if a Frame
	representative reads this newsgroup, perhaps they'd like to comment on
	their upgrade policy.  I don't know what their policy is and don't
	care to draw conclusions from this poster or from previous postings I
	have read.  I have seen postings and articles which indicate they have
	a good product and, when I am in the market, I will check with them
	directly about their upgrade policy and see if it meets my needs.  But
	a posting to this newsgroup by Frame about their policy would
	certainly be of interest to me.

	In general, however, I believe that providing a bug fix to an
	existing version of a software product is fundamentally different
	from providing a version that runs on a new version of an operating
	system.  I am not interested in buying into a product that isn't
	committed to giving me what I paid for.  But if I buy into an
	operating system whose upgrades may require some generally
	expensive upgrades, I will need to consider that when buying software
	products.  I would hope that software vendors attempting to play in
	the NeXT market might be somewhat liberal in their upgrade policies
	but, as this poster points out, its something for us consider when we
	buy new software.  I would also hope that neither the vendors nor the
	users would pressure NeXT to "stabilize" things prematurely.  They
	are still breaking new ground and asking them to stabilize too soon
	would likely mean all of us living with (the inevitable) mistakes for
	a long time.

>--
>== Tyng-Jing Yang  -- A guilty NeXTCuber                                 ==
>==                                                                       ==
>== NeXT -- A machine that makes me feel guilty not making good use of it ==

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (12/22/90)

i called framemaker tech support this morning, and got a very
satisfactory answer:

    a) framemaker 2.0a will *not* run under nextstep 2.0, but

    b) if you're a registered customer and mail them an OD before jan
       25, they'll mail you back a free copy of 2.0d, which *does* run
       under nextstep 2.0

sounds pretty reasonable to me.
--

                                             .mike.