[comp.sys.next] ftp access, also finding your way around the archives...

peterd@cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (12/22/90)

Because of brain-deadedness in our newsreader, I don't
have the name, but _somebody_ just wrote:

> I will soon be getting my next slab and will be loosing access to the net
> other than a few news groups and a mail feed. Does anyone know of a way
> to get binaries and source from ftp sites if you don't have ftp access. Is
> it possible through mail and if so how. Thanks....

Well, there is at least one email-based ftp-server out
there, operated by the good folks at Purdue University.
This allows users to send email requests, and receive
back the ftp-able files as email. I understand it was
created to allow BITnet people to fetch stuff from the
"real world". ;-)

For those who know where to go for what they want, the
email ftp site is:

	bitftp@pucc.purdue.edu

I'm not a user of the purdue service, so I can't say how
reliable it works, but I understand you can send email to
that address with "help" in the message and get back the
help blurb.

In addition, there is an ftp archive _directory_ service,
currently offered by the School of Computer Science at
McGill, alias SOCS (that's us). This later service, which
we call "archie", maintains a directory of over 500
archive sites and a listing of everything available from
each. Archie can be used interactively from any site with
internet access. As of this week, archie also has an email
interface, for those without direct network access.

For direct access, you can telnet or rlogin to
quiche.cs.mcgill.ca [132.206.2.3 or 132.206.51.1] as user
"archie". There is no password. You will get a brief
banner page which explains the rudiments of the system.
You can search for program names, list the full contents
of any site and ask for a brief help.  Extensions are
being added all the time.

The newly inaugurated email interface is fairly simple to
use. Send your requests to "archie@cs.mcgill.ca" with the
various commands in the body of the message. archie will
execute the commands and send the results back. There are
several options, including the option to compress and
uuencode the result. More details, including help is given
below.

reports, comments and flames. This is read by the humans
who are involved in building and maintaining archie.

Final, "Kudos were they belong" department. Alan Emtage is
the principle implementor of archie. He is a systems
programmer and masters student here at SOCS and is
building archie as his masters' project. He has been
assisted in the user interface code (among other things)
by Bill Heelan, another systems programmer at SOCS. The
original idea for a user interface came from work I am
doing for my master thesis on distributed electronic
publishing (coming soon to a theatre near you) and I still
chip in silly suggestions and comments when they can't
escape me. The email code was mostly the work of Mike
Parker (mouse) of the McGill Research Centre for
Intelligent Machines (McRcim). Mouse is perhaps best known
to this group for his X11 R4 NeXT port.

So there we are. I think this answers fairly completely
the original query, hope I haven't put anyone to sleep.
Feedback on archie is welcome and should be sent to the
above list.

				- peterd

[* Alan Emtage's archie email announcement *]

Hi All,
	Well the email interface seems to be working. (I said _seems_ to
:-).  Before I release it to the world at large, I'd like some help with
it for a day or two of testing. For those of you who don't have direct
internet access, I've included the address of the ftp-mail server.

	We've changed the address of the bug reports/suggestions/comments
mailing list FROM:

		archie@cs.mcgill.ca

	     TO:

		archie-l@cs.mcgill.ca

The mail server will now use the top address. As always, we're
interested in your comments, suggestions and constructive critisism so
please don't hesitate to write to us (at our new address). If you get a
chance, please take it out for a test drive. I'll need to know that it at
least works 90% of the time before I put it into general release.

We may or may not have a new,improved version of archie out before the
holiday season begins. I will be away from Dec 22 until Jan 14, and so
Bill will be holding down the fort. He can be contacted through the above
address.

Here is the help page for the email interface. Enjoy.

			The ARCHIE Mail Server

HELP for the archie mail server, as of 18 December, 1990 (modified from the
KISS help file)

Requests to this server should be addressed to archie@cs.mcgill.ca

To contact us humans, mail to archie-l@cs.mcgill.ca

For your information, anonymous FTP may be performed through the mail by
the ftp-mail server. Send a message with the word 'help' in it to:

		bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu

for an explanation on how to use it.

NOTE: The Subject: line is processed as if it were part of the main message
body. No special keywords are required.

Note that the "help" command is exclusive. All other commands in the same
message are ignored.

This server recognizes six commands. If an message not containing any valid
requests or an empty message is received, it will be considered to be a
'help' message.

path <path>     This lets the requestor override the address that would
		normally be extracted from the header.  If you do not
		hear from the archiver server within oh, about 2 days, you
		might consider adding a "path" command to your request.  The
		path describes how to mail a message from cs.mcgill.ca to your
		address. cs.mcgill.ca is fully connected to the Internet.

help            Will send you this message.

prog <reg expr1> [<reg exp2> ...]

		A search of the "archie" database is performed with each
		<reg exp> (a regular expression as defined by ed(1)) in
		turn, and any matches found are returned to the requestor.
		Note that multiple <reg exp> may be placed on one line, in
		which case the results will be mailed back to you in one
		message.  If you have multiple "prog" lines, then multiple
		messages will be returned, one for each line.

		Any regular expression containing spaces must be quoted with
		single (') or double (") quotes. ALL OTHER ed(1) rules must
		be followed.

		NOTE: The searches are CASE SENSITIVE. The ability to change
		this will hopefully be added soon.

site <site name> | <site IP address>

		A listing of the given <site name> will be returned. The
		fully qualified domain name or IP address may be used.

compress	ALL of your files in the current mail message will be
		"compressed" and "uuencoded". When you receive the reply,
		remove everything before the "begin" line and run it through
		"uudecode". This will produce a .Z file. You can then run
		"uncompress" on this file and get the results of your
		request.

quit            Nothing past this point is interpreted. This is provided so
		that the occasional lost soul whose signature contains a line
		that looks like a command can still use the server without
		getting a bogus response.

-Alan

In article <1990Dec21.212715.2496@cs.mcgill.ca> peterd@cs.mcgill.ca
	(Peter Deutsch) writes:
>Well, there is at least one email-based ftp-server out
>there, operated by the good folks at Purdue University.
>This allows users to send email requests, and receive
>back the ftp-able files as email. I understand it was
>created to allow BITnet people to fetch stuff from the
>"real world". ;-)

Given that BITNET is probably the *smallest* wide-area network
you hear about on a regular basis, I seriously doubt this.

BITFTP was created specifically for BITNET users, it honors
BITNET's "absurdly low" transfer limits, makes a reasonable
attempt to bash ASCII into EBCDIC, etc.  Non-BITNET users
shouldn't bother with it.  Instead, mail to
archive-server@cc.purdue.edu with a Subject: of
help
and it should return more detailed instructions.

					-=EPS=-