[comp.sys.next] PLEASE HELP!!! Problem with running WriteNow

jack@linus.claremont.edu (12/21/90)

Hi,

I have managed to do something that really has me baffled.  WriteNow
can only be run by root --- If another user tries to run the program
the following error occurs:

     File system error.  You do not have permission
     for that operation

However all the other applications work fine.  I have tried every
varient of chmod that I know (chmod 1755 * , chmod 4755 *, chmod 6755
*, on the WriteNow.app directory and its contents to no avail at all).

Has anyone seen this error?  (I apologize beforehand if this question
has been raised before).  Does anyone know how to fix it?

Much Thanks in advanced.  Please respond via E-Mail and I'll summarize.

---Jack

Jack@Hmcvax 		  (Bitnet)
jack@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Internet)
jack@fozzie.claremont.edu (NeXT Mail)
714-621-8006

jack@linus.claremont.edu (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.161254.1@linus.claremont.edu>, jack@linus.claremont.edu writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have managed to do something that really has me baffled.  WriteNow
> can only be run by root --- If another user tries to run the program
> the following error occurs:
>
>      File system error.  You do not have permission
>      for that operation
>
> However all the other applications work fine.  I have tried every
> varient of chmod that I know (chmod 1755 * , chmod 4755 *, chmod 6755
> *, on the WriteNow.app directory and its contents to no avail at all).
>
> Has anyone seen this error?  (I apologize beforehand if this question
> has been raised before).  Does anyone know how to fix it?
>
> Much Thanks in advanced.  Please respond via E-Mail and I'll summarize.
>
> ---Jack

I found my mistake.  For future refence the /private/spool and the /private/tmp
should have 777 protection on them.  I did look at /usr/spool but I guess I
made the mistake of thinking of the NeXT as a Standard Unix Beast.  I think
that I am going to write a paper on common errors made by people who think they
know what they're doing on the NeXT.  So far I have two things to add: the
above protections in the /private directory, and the tip - before messing with
NetInfo make a backup of the files in /etc/netinfo/local.nidb/  (that way if
you do screw up you can copy the files back from single user mode and you don't
have to start all over again.  Thanks to everyone who sent encouraging words
of sympathy.

---Jack

P.S.  I missed the discussion on editors.  Here's my $0.02, my editor of choice
is TPU.  Not only is it infinately customizable, capable of LSE (Language
Sensative Editing), but it is a programming language capable of being
called by other programming languages.  And its overhead is less than EMACS.
Of course its only available for VMS .... (Actually there are some comercial
impletations of TPU for different flavors of Unix, providing you want to pay
$1500 a site ...)

In article <1990Dec21.184328.1@linus.claremont.edu>
	jack@linus.claremont.edu writes:
>I found my mistake.  For future refence the /private/spool and the /private/tmp
>should have 777 protection on them.

Is this some new 2.0 breakage?  What does WriteNow need in
/private/spool, and why can't /tmp be 1777?

(I assume I don't need to explain why 777 is a security hole.)

					-=EPS=-