[comp.sys.next] Curious specs

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (12/12/90)

	Just received an information flyer from NeXT and two items caught
my attention:

	First, those specs show a 4.0 MB/sec max transfer rate for the
105 MB hard disk, but an 8.0 MB/sec max transfer rate for the 340 MB disk.
Second, all of the systems are listed as FCC Class A, rather than the
expected Class B. Many of these systems, after all, will end up in school
dorms (residences, however humble). Can anyone offer explanations or
experiences related to these two curiosities?

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.220359.14998@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) says:

>In article <174@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>>All of the systems are listed as FCC Class A, rather than the
>>expected Class B. Many of these systems, after all, will end up in school
>>dorms (residences, however humble). Can anyone offer explanations or
>>experiences related to these two curiosities?

I had heard from our NeXT salesman that FCC Class B certification
was expected, but that the approval process takes a long time.
So, they can only claim Class A for now.  I guess Class A certification
must be easier/faster to get.

matthews@is-next.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec21.140308.23251@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>I am not sure what this means, but I would like to know more.  I expect
>to have a NeXT at home soon and it will be in a room which has a lot of
>audio eqiupment in it.  I have found I get a low level buzz from the
>power supply on my Telebit modem.  Can I expect the same from the NeXT?
>Might it be worse?  If there is a problem, is there a solution?

I am at this moment using my NeXTstation (known as lewhoosh.umd.edu) at home,
using tip to dial into the NeXTcube that I use on campus.

My NeXTstation is right next to my stereo, which is playing an FM radio station
that is located, oh, about 50 miles away.

Nope, no interference here.. and since my family members haven't yelled at me
regarding bad TV reception yet, I can only assume they don't have any quibbles
either.

By the way, I highly suggest that anyone who hasn't listened to the Ensemble/
Scores files in stereo (i.e. through headphones or on a full-blown stereo), do
so immediately.  It'll blow yer mind.

Now, if only I could figure out why tip put me in all UPPER case there once,
and it won't let me hit ^X^C to get out of emacs... (I'm using vi now).

>--
>Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
>...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

Mike

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/23/90)

/comp.sys.next / wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) / Dec 21'90/
> BTW, if you haven't called NeXT HQ yet for some reason, you really should.
> They are awfully nice there.

They certainly are.  Please return the favor by NOT calling them unless you
have a good reason!

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob