[net.auto] RADAR problems

cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (CWRU Student Chapter ACM) (10/24/85)

OK, I'm on my home one night ~1am, my escort was stolen the week before.  As
I drive through an area that I *K*N*O*W* is monitored heavily I drive absolutely
no more than the limit.  Flashing lights.  I've just been cited for 59 in a
35.  Officer cannot show me a radar reading. (apparently he isn't required to
in OH).  Now what?  Can a lawyer help me?  At this point what makes a RADAR
ticet any different than any other ticket?

				xoxorich.
				...decvax!cwruecmp!cwruacm
				...decvax!cwruecmp!rexago1!rich

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (10/26/85)

In article <1321@cwruecmp.UUCP> cwruacm@cwruecmp.UUCP (CWRU Student Chapter ACM) writes:
>OK, I'm on my home one night ~1am, my escort was stolen the week before.  As
>I drive through an area that I *K*N*O*W* is monitored heavily I drive absolutely
>no more than the limit.  Flashing lights.  I've just been cited for 59 in a
>35.  Officer cannot show me a radar reading. (apparently he isn't required to
>in OH).  Now what?  Can a lawyer help me?  At this point what makes a RADAR
>ticet any different than any other ticket?
>
>				xoxorich.

Sorry, but you have been screwed.  I was nailed a few years ago in an area that
I knew that a cop was around.  I was doing 5 mph under the limit, and still was
tagged for doing the speed of the car in front of me.

Judges and police treat their radar as magic, and not to be argued with.  I
think you have been hosed.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (10/28/85)

Your problem with speeding makes my heart bleed.  If you
had said you were cited for doing 42 in a 35 zone, I might
have had some sympathy.  But, 59 in a 35?  Come on now,
who do you expect will think you have been victimized?
Did you ever stop to think that they may have got your
number *Before* you decided to slow down?
T. C. Wheeler

gvcormack@watmum.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) (10/29/85)

If you feel you are innocent, you should ALWAYS fight the ticket in
court; it is your responsibility as a citizen.  You may lose but
(a) you will have cost the system as much as the fine  (b) you may
win on a technicality (e.g. the officer may not show up to testify
or may read his cheat sheets incorrectly)  (c) the judge may actually
believe you (explain the situation clearly and honestly -- do not add
a lot of extra crap  -- by the way, the original posting was over
10 lines long and never said the obvious thing (which I have assumed
but a court will not) I WAS NOT SPEEDING: MY SPEED WAS XXXXX))
(d) the court may begin to notice a correlation between particular
police officers and the number of contested cases  (e) if you ever
have subsequent hassles (like they try to take your license away)
they will look at your record -- you cannot possible maintain your
innocence if you pleaded guilty.

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (10/29/85)

>Your problem with speeding makes my heart bleed.  If you
>had said you were cited for doing 42 in a 35 zone, I might
>have had some sympathy.  But, 59 in a 35?  Come on now,
>who do you expect will think you have been victimized?
>Did you ever stop to think that they may have got your
>number *Before* you decided to slow down?
>T. C. Wheeler

another good German who believes in the integrity of the state and its minions

bfoss@desteng.UUCP (Brad Foss) (10/30/85)

> Your problem with speeding makes my heart bleed.  If you
> had said you were cited for doing 42 in a 35 zone, I might
> have had some sympathy.  But, 59 in a 35?  Come on now,
> who do you expect will think you have been victimized?
> Did you ever stop to think that they may have got your
> number *Before* you decided to slow down?
> T. C. Wheeler

Please go back and read the original article. He states that knowing that the
area is heavily monitored, he was very carefully going *AT* or *BELOW* the
limit. This is a discussion of incorrect radar readings, and what recourse
one might have in a defence.

Being "high tech", radar guns can't be wrong can they? :-)
and computers never make misnakes, do they :-)

Brad (double nickles 'cause I'm in no hurry) Foss

bsisrs@rruxe.UUCP (R. Schiraldi) (11/01/85)

Got stopped yesterday on I-287 in New Jersy by a statie. I was
cruzin' at 70 when I passed him.  He pulled me over, and after some
discution over the clean state of my license, he decided to sight me
for a bald tire (also helps convice the wife I need new tires on the
car ;-) ).

Some people seem to have all the luck ;-).

                                        Rich Schiraldi
                                        rruxe!bsisrs

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (11/04/85)

In article <303@rruxe.UUCP> bsisrs@rruxe.UUCP (R. Schiraldi) writes:
>Got stopped yesterday on I-287 in New Jersy by a statie. I was
>cruzin' at 70 when I passed him.

Rule 1 while driving (and flying):  Thou shalt keep thy head on a swivel.
Not only for reasons of avoiding tickets, but plain safety.