[comp.sys.next] 1777 vs 777 protection

jack@linus.claremont.edu (12/24/90)

In article <1071@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> In article <1990Dec21.184328.1@linus.claremont.edu>
> 	jack@linus.claremont.edu writes:
>>I found my mistake.  For future refence the /private/spool and the /private/tmp
>>should have 777 protection on them.
>
> Is this some new 2.0 breakage?  What does WriteNow need in
> /private/spool, and why can't /tmp be 1777?
>
> (I assume I don't need to explain why 777 is a security hole.)
>
> 					-=EPS=-
You are right.  The protection on /private/tmp should be 1777 and not 777.
/private/spool has a number of subdirectories (such as mail and NeXT-Faxes)
that should also be set to 1777 but the top level directory probably should not
be.

I spend most of my time on VMS systems so I am ignorant of many Unix security
issues.  I didn't know what the sticky bit did so I looked it up (Unix System
Administration --- Nemeth, Snyder, and Seebass).  Apparantly what the sticky
bit does varies from system to system but on the NeXT on the /private/tmp
directory, it probably means that only the owner of the file can modify or
delete it (and, of course, so can the superuser).

Could you please explain why 777 is a security hole on /private/spool?  I know
that there are a few Unix rookies (besides myself) on this newsgroup that don't
know the answer.  I have a few wild guess but they are just that.

Thanks,

---Jack

Jack Stewart        		Jack@Hmcvax 		  (Bitnet)
Academic Computing,             jack@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Internet)
Harvey Mudd College,            jack@fozzie.claremont.edu (NeXT-Mail)
Claremont, Ca. 91711            714-621-8006