[comp.sys.next] Lighthouse

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) (12/21/90)

In article 8601 Ray Ryan of Lighthouse writes:
>There has been some debate as to whether Lighthouse should be
>distributing Usenet news posts.  Please, if anyone in netland wants
>his or her material removed from our disk, write me.  We'll remove
>your work and give you no hassle.  Of course, you should be aware that
>we aren't the only distributors of Usenet news.
>
>Ray Ryan
>Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
>rjrjr@lighthouse.com

Hey Ray, I've got a better idea, why don't you e-mail all the people
who are being "distributed".  That way we will have a two way
communication going.  We'd all like to know how we've contributed!

--
/-------------------------------------\ James Bennett Saxon.........|NM|
| "I ought to join the club and beat  | Scientific Vis. Laboratory..|eA|

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (12/25/90)

>In article 8601 Ray Ryan of Lighthouse writes:
>>There has been some debate as to whether Lighthouse should be
>>distributing Usenet news posts.

Regarding Lighthouse selling news posts, it should be pointed out that
in this democratic society of ours there exists a long-standing
tradition of selling reproductions of the free and open expressions
of others without their consent... newspapers, for example. Anyone
with a nano-cubic-centimeter of functional brain cells can build
quite a database/list of others in no time.

In this relatively free and open democracy of ours, one which has
managed to remain free despite the almost-constant diddling with
free speech by neo-totalitarians, if you choose to express your
opinions publicly you have implicitly offered those opinions to
an open market place and those statements become, in a sense, public
domain. The only obligation to you consists of proper attribution.

Legally, Lighthouse should be under NO obligation to reimburse anyone or
remove from their product any reproduction of anyone's publicly
expressed opinions or thoughts. If Lighthouse feels it necessary to
offer this, it is of course their option. I would, on the other hand,
hate to see their offer be interpreted as manifest evidence of
anyone's (non-existent) right to control their expressions after those
expressions were offered in a public arena.

Freedom of speech is not a priviledge, it is a right. Freedom to
package and sell a legal product is not a priviledge, it is a right.
--
_-_-_-_-_
-_-_-_-_-Chuck Herrick <cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu>