[comp.sys.next] C++ Information / Books

shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) (12/24/90)

we've all got our kernighan/ritchie's sitting on our desks for the
standard c questions, but is there a similar c++ type bible?  i've futzed
through the gigantic selection of c++ books in bookstores around here,
but none jump out at me as a definitive reference text.

also, it would be interesting to hear from folks who have actually
done large apps in c++ on the cube - what the issues are, how hard it
was, how tough it was to integrate obj-c/c++ classes, design issues,
etc, etc, etc.

shawn broderick
shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/25/90)

In article <SHAWN.90Dec24072815@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>, shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:

|> we've all got our kernighan/ritchie's sitting on our desks for the
|> standard c questions, but is there a similar c++ type bible?  i've futzed
|> through the gigantic selection of c++ books in bookstores around here,
|> but none jump out at me as a definitive reference text.

Two things you might consider:
1. read comp.lang.c++
2. get The Annotated C++ Reference Manual, M.A. Ellis and B. Stroustrup,
Addison-Wesley, 1990. ISBN 0-201-51459-1 - not a beginner's book, but the
most complete reference (referred to on comp.lang.c++ as ARM or E&S).

Unfortunately, ARM doesn't include the standard libraries. You can find
most of what you need in this area in C++ Primer, S.B. Lippman,
Addison-Wesley, 1989. ISBN 0-201-16487-6. One of the better beginner's
books (assumes prior programming experience, but not C or C++).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (12/27/90)

In article <SHAWN.90Dec24072815@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
>we've all got our kernighan/ritchie's sitting on our desks for the
>standard c questions, but is there a similar c++ type bible?

If I had to buy only 2 C++ books (instead of the 6+ I have bought), I
would get:
  1. "C++ Primer" by Lippman (Addison-Wesley #16487)
  2. "The Annotated C++ Reference Manual" by Ellis and Stroustrup
       (Addison-Wesley #51459)

        Geoffrey S. Knauth                       geoff@bos.camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                 geoff%bos.camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451            --standard disclaimers--

fruitbat@netcom.UUCP (Thomas Fruchterman) (12/27/90)

	I have to make a plug for what I think is the best C++ book :
_Programming in C++_ by Dewhurst and Stark. Get Lippman for a reference,
but the D&tells you what it is all FOR.

zack@bosslog.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (01/02/91)

In article <SHAWN.90Dec24072815@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> shawn@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Shawn Broderick) writes:
>we've all got our kernighan/ritchie's sitting on our desks for the
>standard c questions, but is there a similar c++ type bible?  i've futzed
>through the gigantic selection of c++ books in bookstores around here,
>but none jump out at me as a definitive reference text.

The definitive work is The Annotated C++ Reference Manual, an ANSI base
document, by Bjarne Stroustrup and Margaret Ellis, ISBN #0-201-51459-1.  Hope
'ya enjoy it!  Now if only NeXT would link C++ and IB together as well as
Objective-C...
--
Zacharias J. Beckman  |  God grant me Serenity to accept things I can't change,
Lower Code Dweller    |  Courage to change those I can,