[comp.sys.next] Reading floppies from a SparcStation 1

fwhite@bbn.com (Fred White) (01/03/91)

Sorry if this is a FAQ.

Is there any way for a NextStation to read a floppy written on a
SparcStation 1?  I have tried writing a floppy in both tar and Sun
filesystem format, to no avail.  Alternatively, is there any way to
keep the NextStation from ejecting a floppy it thinks it can't read,
so that I can read it as raw disk blocks?

flank@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Brett Jacobson) (01/03/91)

In article <61810@bbn.BBN.COM> fwhite@BBN.COM () writes:
>Sorry if this is a FAQ.
>
>Is there any way for a NextStation to read a floppy written on a
>SparcStation 1?  I have tried writing a floppy in both tar and Sun
>filesystem format, to no avail.  Alternatively, is there any way to
>keep the NextStation from ejecting a floppy it thinks it can't read,
>so that I can read it as raw disk blocks?

(Forwarded from petrilli@dogface.UUCP)

The easiest way is to use the mtools on the SPARCStation (mdir, mmkfs, etc...)
which are designed to read/write/format DOS diskettes.  Since the NeXT
can read DOS formated disks, this should give you a way to transfer (though
if they sit on the same network, ftp or tftp would be better).

Chris Petrilli

PS: IF you don't have mtools, mail this account (flank@ccwf...) and I will
send you a copy.