[comp.sys.next] Need books on Objective C and Postscript

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (12/23/90)

The bookstores are full of books on C++, but none on Objective C.
Postscript seems to be a non-entity.  Can anyone suggest good
sources of info on these two languages.  I have several years of
experience with C and Unix utilities, all Sys III & V.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

langz@prodigal.Eng.Sun.COM (Lang Zerner) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec23.020007.22765@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>The bookstores are full of books on C++, but none on Objective C.
>Postscript seems to be a non-entity.  Can anyone suggest good
>sources of info on these two languages.

o Adobe Systems, Inc., PostScript Level 2 Language Reference Manual
  (Addison-Wesley, 1990).

  This is the definitive documentation of the syntax and semantics of the
  PostScript language.  It is not a tutorial, nor does it explicitly suggest
  programming style (for this info, see Adobe's PostScript Language Tutorial
  and Cookbook).  Note: the original PostScript Language Reference Manual, or
  "red book," is now obsolete; it has a red cover and is about an inch thick.
  The PS Level 2 book, which includes Display PostScript documentation, is
  mostly white with a red stripe, and is a couple of inches thick.

o Cox, Bradley, Object-Oriented Programming: an Evolutionary Approach (don't
  know the publisher).

  This book introduces the philosophy behind and structure of Objective-C.
  It provides plentiful figures and code examples.  Note: the current edition
  documents the version of Objective-C that was current prior to the version
  used on the NeXT (for more up-to-date language reference documents, contact
  Stepstone, the manufacturers of Objective-C).  If you can't afford the time
  to wait for the new edition, I recommend you buy the current edition
  anyway, since the background and basic Objective-C programming skills it
  teaches will be enough to get you started even with the newer version of
  Objective-C.

Be seeing you...
++Lang
--
langz@prodigal.sun.com     415/594-9268     "Karma means `getting caught'; the
secret to not creating karma is getting even without getting caught." --RK, R3

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (01/03/91)

In article <5103@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> langz@prodigal.Eng.Sun.COM (Lang Zerner) writes:
>In article <1990Dec23.020007.22765@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>o Cox, Bradley, Object-Oriented Programming: an Evolutionary Approach (don't
>  know the publisher).

Addison Wesley. An updated version is 'in production'.
Don't know when it will appear in bookstores yet.1
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482