[comp.sys.next] 2.0 vs 2.0 Extended

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (01/04/91)

All articles I've read so far about the NeXTStation state that the
105 MB includes a stripped-down version of NeXTStep 2.0, the complete
Extended 2.0 comes with the 360 (now 400) MB machines.

Considering that $2000 is a rather steep price for 300 MB, I can't
avoid considering the purchase of a 105 MB NeXTStation, and upgrading
it with an external disk drive. The question is, do I have any hope of
getting the Extended Edition together with the Station? Or am I
allowed to go to the next big machine I can get hold of and copy it?

--
               Federico Heinz
"'?Y zi mejod la pateo?" --- Guille

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/04/91)

In article <1319@actisb.UUCP> federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) writes:

>All articles I've read so far about the NeXTStation state that the
>105 MB includes a stripped-down version of NeXTStep 2.0, the complete
>Extended 2.0 comes with the 360 (now 400) MB machines.
>
>Considering that $2000 is a rather steep price for 300 MB, I can't
>avoid considering the purchase of a 105 MB NeXTStation, and upgrading
>it with an external disk drive. The question is, do I have any hope of
>getting the Extended Edition together with the Station? Or am I
>allowed to go to the next big machine I can get hold of and copy it?

When you purchase an 040 NeXT (new station/cube or upgrade) you are
authorized to use ANY of the software included in Release 2.0 Extended.  You
can acquire the software by purchasing the floppies from NeXT (list $175) or
by downloading the software from another 040 NeXT.

Tyler

Disclaimers:  1) I don't speak for NeXT in any official capacity.
              2) You must purchase SR2.0/Ext from NeXT if you only have an 030.