[comp.sys.next] I found out how to backup to floppies

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (01/03/91)

Get a pen folks ... Here's how you can backup the 105 MB Hard Disk on the
new NeXTstation to 1.44 meg floppies

1) initialize (format, put a filesystem on) approx 90 1.44 Meg 3 1/2"
   floppies. After they have a filesystem on them there's about 1.2 Megs
   free.

2) Turn on your NeXTstation and when the "Loading Disk ..." window appears,
   hit the right COMMAND key and the ~ key on the keypad at the same time.
   This puts you into the ROM Monitor. You'll get a NeXT> prompt. Enter
   b sd -s
   This boots from the SCSI disk in single user mode.

3) When you get to the # prompt enter
   fsck
   This checks that the filesystem is intact on the SCSI drive.

4) then enter the command that does the backup
      (you should label the disks before you backup  1 - 90)
   # dump 0uOf 0.86 /dev/rfd0a /dev/rsd0a

   this command dumps a level 0 full backup
                              u update the /etc/dumpdates file
              CAPITOL O       O specifies the output block size
                              f specifies a device or file

   0.86 is the block size for 1.44 meg floppies with filesystem
/dev/rfd0a is (r) removable (fd0) 1st floppy drive (a) 1st partition
/dev/rsd0a is (r) removable (sd0) 1st SCSI drive   (a) 1st partition

Once the SCSI drive is backed up you can use the command
  # restore jixf filename /dev/rfd0a
to restore any files you want.
         j  =  media is ejectable
         i  =  interactive mode (question's asked)
         x  =  extract files
         f  =  specify filename

If anyone has any other ideas, please respond ...

/==============================================================\
| lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations       |
| larry@triumfcl.bitnet         |  University of B.C. Canada   |
| Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall          |
| Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia |
| FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3             |
\==============================================================/

bb@sandbar.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (01/04/91)

In article <25Z7u1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>
lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:

> /dev/rfd0a is (r) removable (fd0) 1st floppy drive (a) 1st partition
> /dev/rsd0a is (r) removable (sd0) 1st SCSI drive   (a) 1st partition

The "r" here stands for "raw", not removable.  It allows a program to
access a disk partition or other storage device as a large flat stream
of bytes that you can seek through with a very simple program, instead
of the more efficient block-oriented access that implies knowledge of
the disk layout and geometry.  (Isn't UNIX neat?)

> If anyone has any other ideas, please respond ...

Ok, I will :-)

I am glad to see someone taking the effort to learn about the supplied
UNIX utilities.  A smart program like dump comes into its own when you
wish to make incremental backups; these are where you only save the
files that have changed since some date or other criteria.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!mathlab.math.ufl.edu!bb

scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (01/05/91)

In article <25Z7u1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) writes:
   Get a pen folks ... Here's how you can backup the 105 MB Hard Disk on the
   new NeXTstation to 1.44 meg floppies

Thanks for the info.  Now, for the $1000 question: Anybody built a
bootable 1.44M?  Not having a NextStation easily availiable, I'm not
in a position to try :-).  At minimum, I'd expect mach, and a couple
other things (vi, sh, restore ( :-]), parts of /etc, more of /bin, I
hope).  There are obvious needs for something like this (else, what good
does the backup do?).

I assume that the 2.0 on floppies has a boot floppy.  I'm more interested
in not buying 2.0 on floppies, though, and making it out of the 2.0 on
400M hard drive that I'll be getting.

Thanks
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad