[comp.sys.next] ideal NeXT system

jesperse@nas.nasa.gov (Dennis Jespersen) (01/04/91)

1. I am trying to put together a "ideal" NeXT system for sophisticated
scientific users while holding the cost under $20,000.  What do the
readers of this newsgroup think would be the ideal system?

2. I am thinking along the lines of the high end color NeXT, while
going third-party for a big hard disk and lots of memory; is this
general strategy reasonable?

Thanks in advance for mail messages or postings.
--
Dennis Jespersen
MS 202A-1

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/04/91)

In article <JESPERSE.91Jan3160341@rft28.nas.nasa.gov> jesperse@nas.nasa.gov (Dennis Jespersen) writes:
>1. I am trying to put together a "ideal" NeXT system for sophisticated
>scientific users while holding the cost under $20,000.  What do the
>readers of this newsgroup think would be the ideal system?
>
>2. I am thinking along the lines of the high end color NeXT, while
>going third-party for a big hard disk and lots of memory; is this
>general strategy reasonable?
>
>Thanks in advance for mail messages or postings.
>--
>Dennis Jespersen

Well, gee... A NeXTcube is, what, $5,000?  NeXTDimension another, what,
$3,000?  Printer at $2,000 (these are all safe estimates, methinks), that's
$10,000.  Add a 1.2G drive, what, $4,000?  Extra memory... well, you can get
an awful lot for $6,000.  Since 4M SIMMs can be had for $200 a piece...

Oh, can't forget the 040 upgrade, for another $2,000?  So you have $4,000 to
buy 20 4M SIMMs.  And stuff them in 16 SIMM slots....
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will
	want to use it.

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/05/91)

In article <JESPERSE.91Jan3160341@rft28.nas.nasa.gov> jesperse@nas.nasa.gov (Dennis Jespersen) writes:
>1. I am trying to put together a "ideal" NeXT system for sophisticated
>scientific users while holding the cost under $20,000.  What do the
>readers of this newsgroup think would be the ideal system?
>
>2. I am thinking along the lines of the high end color NeXT, while
>going third-party for a big hard disk and lots of memory; is this
>general strategy reasonable?

I would recommend the NeXTServer + NeXTDimension.

  NeXTServer
    - 32Mb Memory
    - 1.4 Gb Drive
    - Monochrome Monitor

  NeXTDimension
    - 16Mb Memory
    - 16" Color Monitor

  NeXTLaser Printer
    - 400dpi Postscript

With this setup you have a 2 headed cube, lots of memory, lots of disk storage,
high quality laser output, and it only costs about ..... $18,000 if you can
buy direct from NeXT or $20,000 if you have to go through you're local campus
computer store.

Tyler

DISCLAIMER: These are approximate prices -- I'll post official list pricing
and actual OSU computer store pricing on monday.  All prices listed here are
EDUCATIONAL discounted prices.

eric@brewmaster.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) (01/05/91)

In article <7799@umd5.umd.edu>, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
|> Well, gee... A NeXTcube is, what, $5,000?  NeXTDimension another, what,
|> $3,000?  Printer at $2,000 (these are all safe estimates, methinks), that's
|> $10,000.  Add a 1.2G drive, what, $4,000?  Extra memory... well, you can get
|> an awful lot for $6,000.  Since 4M SIMMs can be had for $200 a piece...
|>
|> Oh, can't forget the 040 upgrade, for another $2,000?  So you have $4,000 to
|> buy 20 4M SIMMs.  And stuff them in 16 SIMM slots....

I thought the cube now came with the 040, no need to upgrade, no?  Also,
can the cube really use all that RAM (88MB)?  Maybe I would trade part
of this RAM for more disk space, if any kind of image or sound processing
is envisaged (otherwise, 1.2GB is well enough, of course).  What's the
maximum disk capacity of a cube?

  Eric Brunelle                     |     "C'est la nuit qu'il est beau
  eric%bnrmtl@iro.umontreal.ca      |         -- Rostand, Chantecler

In article <1991Jan4.193220.26207@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca writes:

>What's the maximum disk capacity of a cube?

You can order it from NeXT with a maximum of 2-1.4Gb INTERNAL SCSI-2 drives,
and you can hang a bunch of external SCSI-2 drives on it.  So the answer is
2.8Gb or 2.8Gb + lots if you're allowing external drives.

Tyler