[comp.sys.next] Unnecessary restrictions on 2.0 Upgrade License

izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (01/05/91)

With a Tech support note, I received a product announcement
blurb for Software Release 2.0 Upgrade License (N5516)
(list price $65).

I didn't like what I saw.

It says that only those organizations which purchased
at least 1 copy of 2.0 Upgrade on OD is eligible to purchase
additional Updrade Licenses (so that 1 OD can be used to
upgrade multiple NeXTs to 2.0).

Why is NeXT imposing such an unnecessary restriction for this
license?

From my reading of the blurb, it does NOT allow an upgrade
of  a personally owned NeXT using an OD borrowed from a friend
or from office by just paying $65 to NeXT.

This is odd, particularly because NeXT has a very flexible
licensing for 2.0 Extended software for people who get the
limited standard release with 105MB slabs.  They have the
right to  all of  2.0 software, and can copy from any sources.

The described arrangement is fine for large companies or
University clusters, but it offers no provisions for individual
users who have just one machine.

NeXT should allow copying of 2.0 software from any sources,
upon payment of $65 without requiring a purchase of 2.0 OD.

If there is a reson for this restriction, could someone elaborate
why?

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu
              izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu (NeXTmail)

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan5.043438.14536@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@fugitive.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>I didn't like what I saw.

.
.

>NeXT should allow copying of 2.0 software from any sources,
>upon payment of $65 without requiring a purchase of 2.0 OD.
>
>If there is a reson for this restriction, could someone elaborate
>why?

Did you call NeXT? Is there a  contact the person who's name was on the letter?
Did you contact the local Next rep?  Maybe you should ask someone who can
answer the question before blasting to the net.  Maybe you should suggest that
university students be covered on the copies that their university attends.

<joe>

This in no way reflects the opinion of my employer and the contents are the
results personal opinions.  Send flames to /dev/null.