[comp.sys.next] Kermit Under Rel 2.0

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (01/05/91)

The Kermit available on most archive sites does not seem to work properly
under release 2.0 of NeXTSteppe.  Has anyone re-compiled it to work with
rel. 2.0?  Does anyone know if it is available for anonymous FTP?

I would recompile it myself, but since I only have the 105Mb HD, I don't
have room for the C compiler.

/==============================================================\
| lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations       |
| larry@triumfcl.bitnet         |  University of B.C. Canada   |
| Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall          |
| Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia |
| FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3             |
\==============================================================/

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (01/06/91)

In article <g050u1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) says:

>The Kermit available on most archive sites does not seem to work properly
>under release 2.0 of NeXTSteppe.  Has anyone re-compiled it to work with
>rel. 2.0?  Does anyone know if it is available for anonymous FTP?

I found the same thing, so I recompiled it (on a 105MB system,
incidentally).  The 2.0 binary is less than half the size of the
1.0 binary, presumably because of shared libraries.
I put the 2.0 kermit on clvax1.cl.msu.edu (35.8.2.1) as
kermit_next.exe.   I was surprised to see that some server
functions do not work.  However, basic file transfer does work
in this recompiled version.

Mark Riordan   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (01/06/91)

I just fetched the most recent version of Kermit (5A(163) 30 Nov 90),
compiled it under 2.0 after adding -O to the makefile and changing 1.0
to 2.0 in the herald, stripped it, tested it (works honky-dory), and
uploaded it to the directory pub/next/submissions on cs.orst.edu as
kermit5a.tar.Z.  I'll assume it will propogate from there to the other
sites, as well as to a more appropriate location in cs.orst.edu.

The source is available from watsun.cc.columbia.edu in the directory
kermit/sw.  Get the file ckaaaa.hlp to get started and see what files
you need.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (01/06/91)

I have uploaded kermdoc.tar.Z to pub/next/submissions on cs.orst.edu.  It
contains the following files:

ckaaaa.hlp - getting started file for compiling the source
ckuins.doc - more information on compiling
ckuhdr.mss - SCRIBE source for manual (includes ckuker.mss)
ckuker.ann - new features in 5A
ckuker.doc - plain ASCII version of manual
ckuker.mss - most of the manual source
ckuker.nr  - Unix manual page for kermit

I did not include ckuker.ps (the PostScript version of the manual), since
it doesn't work on the NeXT.  It uses NewCenturySchlbk-Roman, -Italic, and
-Bold fonts, none of which are on the NeXT.  I tried changing all the
NewCenturySchlbk's to Times, and this at least made the file printable, but
(predictably) all the spacing was wrong.  If someone out there has SCRIBE,
maybe they can create a PostScript version for the NeXT that uses the
Times font.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

In article <1991Jan5.191241.26418@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
	madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:
>I did not include ckuker.ps (the PostScript version of the manual), since
>it doesn't work on the NeXT.  It uses NewCenturySchlbk-Roman, -Italic, and
>-Bold fonts, none of which are on the NeXT.

Whose fault is that?
[that's a rhetorical question]

					-=EPS=-

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (01/06/91)

  Even with the recompiling under 2.0 - the new keyboard still cannot
properly execute the escape sequence making kermit as best useless..
any suggestions?

Loki

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (01/06/91)

In article <614@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

>   Even with the recompiling under 2.0 - the new keyboard still cannot
> properly execute the escape sequence making kermit as best useless..
> any suggestions?
>
> Loki

Use the kermit command "set escape-character <ascii-value>" to set the escape
character to some other value.  For example "set escape-character 1" sets the
escape character to a control-A.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/06/91)

(Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

>  Even with the recompiling under 2.0 - the new keyboard still cannot
>properly execute the escape sequence making kermit as best useless..
>any suggestions?

Two suggestions:

1) In your .kermrc file, put in a line like this:

	set escape-character 29

to change the default escape character.  29 (decimal) is the ASCII code for
control-], just like what telnet uses.  RTFM.

2) Complain to NeXT for not shipping the product that they advertise.  Look
closely at all of the glossies and see if you ever see a ``new'' keyboard
attached to a NeXTstation.  Let me not digress with futher keyboard flames.

louie

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (01/06/91)

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

>  Even with the recompiling under 2.0 - the new keyboard still cannot
>properly execute the escape sequence making kermit as best useless..
>any suggestions?

How about typing set escape-character <whatever> at kermit's prompt?  Better
yet, put that line in .kermrc in your home directory.  You can change it to
(as far as I know) any control-character you want.

--

%  Internet       : hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu | Insert cute and/or %
%  America Online : JonHam                           | deeply meaningful  %