[comp.sys.next] newsreader w/posting ability WANTED

mazova@sally.acns.nwu.edu, also jmazo@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jacob Mazo) (12/28/90)

Hello.

I would like to be able to read news from a remote machine (I work on a NeXT, the news server is a large SunOS machine).  I currently use a newsreader for the NeXT, but IT DOES NOT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

That, together with the fact that it is so slow, makes me wish that someone out there sent me a better one (or an update of my current one!).  Also, if and when you e-mail to me the thing, please add a README file so I can install the reader (I am an almost total UNIX and NeXT novice, so please include installation instructions!

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (12/29/90)

Jacob Mazo writes:
>I would like to be able to read news from a remote machine (I work on a NeXT,
>the news server is a large SunOS machine).  I currently use a newsreader for
>the NeXT, but IT DOES NOT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, who would write a screwed up newsreader like that?  Yeesh.

>That, together with the fact that it is so slow, makes me wish that someone
>out there sent me a better one (or an update of my current one!).

News is slow because nntpd, the process supplying the news articles, is slow.
Switching News so it would read articles directly from disk would help a lot.

Simson Garfinkle is working on a faster and better newsreader, with the ability
to post.  Last I knew he was trying to get MIT's permission to give it away,
since MIT media lab apparently has a cute policy of owning everything you write
there.

-william shipley

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (12/29/90)

In article <13525@milton.u.washington.edu>
wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) writes:
>News is slow because nntpd, the process supplying the news articles, is slow.
>Switching News so it would read articles directly from disk would help a lot.

That's one really hosed nntpd, then.  We run nntpd on a Sun 3/50 (our
slowest machine), and we have seen no performance problems at all.
I'd suspect the reader first...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (01/02/91)

In article <NE7Mgm5q@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <13525@milton.u.washington.edu>
>wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) writes:
>>News is slow because nntpd, the process supplying the news articles, is slow.
>>Switching News so it would read articles directly from disk would help a lot.
>
>That's one really hosed nntpd, then.  We run nntpd on a Sun 3/50 (our
>slowest machine), and we have seen no performance problems at all.
>I'd suspect the reader first...

Although 'rn' is a bit of a complex beast, there are some good ideas
lurking in it.  One of the best is that it contains heuristics for
guessing the next article it thinks you are going to read, and it
retrieves it while you're reading the current article, perhaps getting
several articles ahead.  This eliminates a lot of the overhead of the
nntpd daemon or disk latency or NFS glitches or whatever, and 'rn'
always feels pretty zippy.

A simplistic algorithm would be to be able to retrieve the next
article in sequence in the current newsgroup after the existing
one has been displayed, and perhaps caching the last several articles
that have been read until the newsgroup is exited.

Given that 'rn' is available in source form, you might check out its
heuristics.  Larry Wall is pretty good about commenting the code.  On
cursory examination I can't find the place where the heuristics appear,
but here is a paragraph from the "HACKERSGUIDE" file that comes with
the source code, indicating that the algorithm is in there somewhere:

" * Lots of contortions are gone through to try to do things when people
    aren't waiting, or have only been waiting a very short time.  Guessing
    the next article to be opened and opening it, searching ahead for the
    next article with the same subject, delaying the look up of the number
    of articles in a newsgroup, writing the rest of the page while the
    reader is examining the header, cacheing up subjects while the user
    is reading, checkpointing the .newsrc only while the reader is in the
    middle of an interesting article, are some of the strategies employed.
"

Cheers,
 Glenn
--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

dennisg@tti.UUCP (Dennis P. Glatting) (01/08/91)

In article <383@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>Although 'rn' is a bit of a complex beast, there are some good ideas
>lurking in it.  One of the best is that it contains heuristics for
>guessing the next article it thinks you are going to read, and it
>retrieves it while you're reading the current article, perhaps getting
>several articles ahead.  This eliminates a lot of the overhead of the
>nntpd daemon or disk latency or NFS glitches or whatever, and 'rn'
>always feels pretty zippy.

check xrn.  it is a very good reader and reasonably fast.

--
   Dennis P. Glatting         |  ...!uunet!tti!dennisg
   Threaded Technologies Inc. | X, NeXT, and threaded

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/08/91)

Jacob> I would like to be able to read news from a remote machine (I
Jacob> work on a NeXT, the news server is a large SunOS machine).  I
Jacob> currently use a newsreader for the NeXT, but IT DOES NOT
Jacob> POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you have GNU Emacs for your machine, why not get GNUS, the GNU
Emacs Newsreader. Lots of nice features, like presenting a menu of
articles when you enter a new newsgroup, allowing you to pick the one
you need. Or, if you're really in a hurry and don't care for a lot of
many features, get nn (No News is good news :-) -- also menu based,
with a cache that makes reading news really fast.

GNUS is available from prep.ai.mit.edu. nn is at freja.diku.dk and
several other places. Both have ample instructions for installation
and are quite straightforward to install (well, kind of. NN requires
you to set up a daemon, but its easy enough to do).

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.