[comp.sys.next] Copy Protection Mechanisms

dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) (01/03/91)

We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
against indiscriminate copying... It would be easy to simply use crypt and
the hostid to "brand" the sold copy to the machine in which it is installed,
but it would also be potentially easy to break that mechanism. I have been
looking for a survey paper that describes different copy protection mechanisms
but have found nothing. I would appreciate any references or input.

Also, if something like this already exists on one of the archive servers
that would be even BETTER! What are other people using????

Thanks,
dany guindi
512-343-1111
uunet!pencom!pensoft!dany

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (01/04/91)

In article <2983@pensoft.UUCP> dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:

>We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
>our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
>against indiscriminate copying...

Don't use it.

>but it would also be potentially easy to break that mechanism. I have been
>looking for a survey paper that describes different copy protection mechanisms
>but have found nothing. I would appreciate any references or input.

People despise copy protection.  I administer a large network that has
several Frame users.  If the Framemaker host goes down, we have to get
them on the phone and reinstall the software with a new serial number.
Delta microsystems recently sent us an optical disk device driver with
a hostid serial number.  We immediately called them and told them that
we would buy drives from another vendor if they restricted the portability
of their hardware with copy-protection.  They sent us an untainted driver.

>Also, if something like this already exists on one of the archive servers
>that would be even BETTER! What are other people using????

You want FREE, PUBLIC DOMAIN copy-protection software?  You are avaricious.
Copy protection impedes productivity and technological growth.  Vendors
should be releasing source code, not confining their users.

And to think, you expect someone to tell you how to do it for free.

All of my software (UNIX computer music software) is free and in the public
domain.  All of its source code is available also.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose

jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) (01/04/91)

dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:
>We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
>our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
>against indiscriminate copying...

If you do decide to release anything with copy protection,
please tell me what software product you are producing, so I (and many others)
can refuse to buy it.  If your product is worth buying, and priced reasonably,
people will buy it.  Provide support for your product to registered owners
via regular updates and bug fixes, and telephone or e-mail help for tech.
questions.

	John Feiler

In article <2983@pensoft.UUCP> dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:
>against indiscriminate copying... It would be easy to simply use crypt and
>the hostid to "brand" the sold copy to the machine in which it is installed,
>but it would also be potentially easy to break that mechanism.

...and it would be very easy for that mechanism to break all by
itself.  All our machines got new hostids when we upgraded from
0.9 to 1.0, and no doubt will again when the '030s become '040s.

>                           What are other people using????

We, the customers, are using non-copy-protected products, and
will cheerfully use our collective influence to attempt to drive
your company under.

Have a Nice Day(tm).

Site Licensing is Your Friend.

					-=EPS=-

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (01/04/91)

/ comp.sys.next / dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) / Jan  2, 1991 /
> We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
> our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
> against indiscriminate copying...

Thanks for the warning.  Nice not doing business with you.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (01/04/91)

If you feel compelled to use a sort of copy protection which I think
is not necessary unless you sell a program that the user uses probably
only once and thus can easily forget about paying, then at least do
not bind the program to the host-id. This is BS. Just think each time
you upgrade you have to replace all your software.
Any company most probably will buy it's software (internal and
external revision, corporate image, etc.) The one who uses software
professionaly will pay, even if it's just because of the support and
upgrades.
The few hackers that collect software are no big danger, I would
guess. After all they would never buy the software in the first place,
the few times they use it is just for thefun of it.
Professional software pirates can hack most protections anyway, but
for them is the NeXT market uninteresting at least with it's current
size.
The best protection is a low price and good support.

Just my .02$

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

moose@svc.portal.com (01/05/91)

In article <2983@pensoft.UUCP> dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:

>We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
>our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
>against indiscriminate copying... It would be easy to simply use crypt and
>the hostid to "brand" the sold copy to the machine in which it is installed,
>but it would also be potentially easy to break that mechanism. I have been
>looking for a survey paper that describes different copy protection mechanisms
>but have found nothing. I would appreciate any references or input.
>
>Also, if something like this already exists on one of the archive servers
>that would be even BETTER! What are other people using????

You would probably be better off site licensing the product.  That way, everyone
at one site can use the machine.  Remember, NeXT is a multi-user machine and
with NXHost, limiting it to one machine is not going to keep it from being
used across the whole network.

Another thought is to force personalization.  It deters piracy because the
owners name is on the program.  You can also register serial numbers and such.
Most legitimate companies do not pirate.  Some even require all software to
be personalized so if there is piracy, they can trace it down and stop it.

Before you say I am naive or anything, Microphone, the program I am writing
for the NeXT, has never had any copy protection on any of the machines we
run on.  We have never had a problem with widespread piracy because our
program is tailored for business users.  Home users that pirate our program
would most likely never have purchased the program anyway.
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

marcus@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Marcus Daniels) (01/05/91)

dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:

>but it would also be potentially easy to break that mechanism. I have been
>looking for a survey paper that describes different copy protection mechanisms
>but have found nothing. I would appreciate any references or input.

>Also, if something like this already exists on one of the archive servers
>that would be even BETTER! What are other people using????

oh golly this is funny.

jeez

- MD -  marcus@eecs.ee.pdx.edu OR ....!uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!marcus
- MD -                  "An empty stomach is not a good polotical advisor."

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.000354.16593@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) writes:
> dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) writes:
>>We, Pencom Software, are in the process of putting the finishing touches on
>>our first product and are now looking for ways of protecting our software
>>against indiscriminate copying...
>
> If you do decide to release anything with copy protection,
> please tell me what software product you are producing, so I (and many others)
> can refuse to buy it.  If your product is worth buying, and priced reasonably,
> people will buy it.  Provide support for your product to registered owners
> via regular updates and bug fixes, and telephone or e-mail help for tech.
> questions.
>
> 	John Feiler

	I don't wish to start an argument here but I do have a somewhat
	different perspective.  I realize that copyprotection is a swear word,
	not only because of the inconvenience of moving licenses to another
	machine when a licensed machine goes down (as pointed out by a
	various copy protection schemes tried out on IBM PCs and compatibles
	which made it hard to use the software and impossible to maintain
	backup copies.

	However, I have found that it is a convenience to be able to utilize
	a utility such as DEC's license management facility for VAX/VMS for
	controlling the licensing of software on large numbers of network
	nodes.  My experience indicates that a properly-done, network-oriented
	LMF utility can be a real benefit in a large installation and is no
	bother in a standalone environment.  Such a utility can potentially
	benefit the user not only by adding to convenience in large facility
	license management, but by making the target environment more
	attractive to software developers who have a consistent means for
	protecting their software without inconveniencing licensees.  This
	sort of utility is feasible in an environment such as UNIX which
	already has mechanisms for access control and is an advantage that it
	has vs. MS-DOS where copy protection schemes are kludgey of necessity.
	I would welcome a good LMF built into the NeXT OS.

	BTW, I believe I saw reference in some third party list somewhere that
	some company offers some sort of license manager.  I've never seen
	details so don't know if it even addresses these sorts of issues.

	Again, this is a personal perspective on a controversial topic and I
	will certainly be interested in seeing the other views I'm sure will be
	expressed.

c.f.waltrip

DDN:  waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu

Opinions expressed are my own.

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (01/05/91)

License management and copy-protection can and should be distinct.  Or more
precisely, there should be no such thing as copy-protection, but there
should be license management to make life more convenient, not less.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (01/06/91)

I hope the NeXT software business can learn from the PC/Mac world and
skip the process of copy protecting all software and then finding that
it hurts sales and then eliminating it from their products. So far
nothing I've purchased uses it, and nothing I write will use it
either.

- g

--
Gary T. Lang  (415)332-2344 x2702
Autodesk, Inc.

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/10/91)

Don't copy protect it at all.  NOBODY likes things that are copy protected.
In fact, many people will not even PURCHASE copy-protected software.  I
for one, won't.  Anybody else who feels the same way?

aabenson@mtu.edu     or     aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu