[comp.sys.next] Floppy Drives

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (01/09/91)

A week or so ago someone said Improv only comes on floppies.  Then, a
couple of days ago, someone said something that suggested the 2.0
upgrade also comes on floppies instead of on an OD.  Therefore, who has
suggestions for an economical floppy drive so all us OD users can load
the present and future new software?  Economical, to me, means a couple
of hundred bucks, complete.  Anything like that out there?

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (01/09/91)

Bob Peirce (rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us)

>A week or so ago someone said Improv only comes on floppies.  Then, a
>couple of days ago, someone said something that suggested the 2.0
>upgrade also comes on floppies instead of on an OD.  Therefore, who has
>suggestions for an economical floppy drive so all us OD users can load
>the present and future new software?  Economical, to me, means a couple
>of hundred bucks, complete.  Anything like that out there?

Improve will indeed come on floppies.  But the *upgrade* comes on
optical disk, unless you have an optical only machine, in which case
the company recommends that you buy (at least) the 105MB drive with
2.0 installed.  There is no floppy distribution of the *upgrade*
per se.  You can however purchase the 2.0 software and and 2.0 software/
extended on floppy disks.  This has nothing particularly to do with
upgrading your 030 cube, unless you would like to buy a floppy drive
right away.  Personally, I will not think about buying a floppy drive
until June or so when prices are predicted to drop and it becomes
important to transfer files that way.  If there is some other reason
that you want to use the floppy (for non-net stuff using Macs or PCs say)
then that is certainly grounds for considering the purchase of an
external floppy drive.  But you will find it difficult to get a
supported drive for less than $400 *educational* - correct me if I'm
wrong here please.
-Bill
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (01/10/91)

How long before 20MB floppy drives hit the market?  Someone mentioned
that the first drives will be introduced in April.  It seems like a
waste to buy an external 2.88MB drive now, and a 20MB floppy drive
later.  I think(IMHO) that 20MB drives will be purchased by many
computer users(i.e. NeXT, DOS, Mac , and Amiga owners), and that
prices of these drives will turn out to be quite reasonable
considering the market size for them will be in the tens of millions.
Since, NeXT users are definitely going to be one of the first users,
it would be good to know more about them now.  Otherwise, many users
are just going to buy the 1.44MB or 2.88MB drives now and they won't
purchase 20MB drives later.  I want the least common denominator to be
20MB floppies(and they might be within a year), and I don't want to
see people six months from now who feel like they got burned because
they bought a 2.88MB floppy drive.  A non-networked NeXT Station with
a 105MB hard drive and a 20MB floppy drive should be quite pleasant.

-Mike

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.122039.10078@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>A week or so ago someone said Improv only comes on floppies.  Then, a
>couple of days ago, someone said something that suggested the 2.0
>upgrade also comes on floppies instead of on an OD.  Therefore, who has
>suggestions for an economical floppy drive so all us OD users can load
>the present and future new software?  Economical, to me, means a couple
>of hundred bucks, complete.  Anything like that out there?

Actually, the 2.0 upgrade is available on floppies or on optical disk.
The floppy release actually ends up costing twice as much since you pay about
$175 for the Release 2.0 disks PLUS $175 for the 2.0 Extended disks -- the
optical disks has ALL the software on it for only $185.

Improv will be released on 1.44Mb floppy diskettes -- and, unfortunately,
there is no CHEAP floppy drive solution on the market......

Pacific Micro Devices has an external drive that will read 720, 1.44, & mac
disks (but not 2.88s).

Tyler

nerd@percy.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.130434.19994@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.122039.10078@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>> ...  Therefore, who has
>>suggestions for an economical floppy drive so all us OD users can load
>>the present and future new software?  Economical, to me, means a couple
>>of hundred bucks, complete.  Anything like that out there?

>Improv will be released on 1.44Mb floppy diskettes -- and, unfortunately,
>there is no CHEAP floppy drive solution on the market......

>Pacific Micro Devices has an external drive that will read 720, 1.44, & mac
>disks (but not 2.88s).

I have not yet tried this on my NeXT but under SCO Xenix '386 many tools
like tar, cpio, and the dos floppy maninulation programs are happy working
with a file created by reading the floppy on another machine with dd.  It
works something like this:

on machine at work with floppy drive:
	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=~uucp/disk.out
	uucp ~uucp/disk.out [home machine without floppy]
at home:
	tar tvf ~uucp/disk.out
produces listing as if I had done this directly from the floppy.

I would guess this should work if the instalation programs used by
2.0 are flexible enough to recognize diferent sources.  I could
then use my Xenix 1.44 meg floppy at work to create all my files
and uucp them to my NeXT at home.

In NeXT's flier "Upgrade Options for Current Users" they talk about
the "PLI SuperFloppy 2.8" as a NeXT-compatible floppy disk drive. It
is not cheap (~$500) but in the long run is probably worth it.  For
your reference, PLI can be reached at (800) 288-8754 or (415) 657-2211.
They have not returned 2 of my calls (I even left an 800 #) but that's
life.  PLI does not include a SCSI cable so you will have another $50
added to all that.

Ingo's solution (roll your own) seems like a good one.  The one thing
that was not obvious is if this was on 2.0 or 1.0a.  Ingo, I'd love
to hear more details.
--
Michael Galassi				| nerd@percy.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd