[comp.sys.next] tiff images reverse polarity, printing, Mathematica...

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (01/12/91)

In article <977.278cb6ef@amy.skidmore.edu>, tholland@amy.skidmore.edu writes:
> I had some tiff files of scanned B&W photos stored on my disk.
> Under 1.0 they looked fine, but when I upgraded today, all the
> photos now look like negatives.  Anybody else seen this or can
> explain it or how to fix it ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anthony Holland
> NeXT Campus Support
> Assoc. Prof. Music
> Skidmore College
> Saratoga Springs, NY

  I also have had this problem, except i had scanned them on a
Mac and then transferred then to the NeXT - i had just assumed
it was another case of Mac screwing something up - but now i
suspect that it may be inherent to 2.0..

  speaking of 2.0 - any one hear of a release date for Mathematica 2.0?
All i get is "its backlogged"...

  last and least:  can anyone suggest any methods of printing
a WriteNow document if I have no access to a NeXT with a printer,
no access to machines with WriteNow on them and RTF seems to be
acting a bit dysfunctional?  part B - does anyone know if
SendPS on the Mac works with EPS files?

thanks as always, Loki

In article <642@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu
(Matthew L. Demsey) writes:
>In article <977.278cb6ef@amy.skidmore.edu>, tholland@amy.skidmore.edu writes:
>> I had some tiff files of scanned B&W photos stored on my disk.
>> Under 1.0 they looked fine, but when I upgraded today, all the
>> photos now look like negatives.  Anybody else seen this or can
>> explain it or how to fix it ?

In 1.0 there was a bug where PhotometricInterpretation wasn't
handled correctly.  Note that the Mac's native representation
is the opposite of the NeXT (i.e. PostScript) sense.  Hence
Mac-style images would incorrectly display as negatives under
1.0.  My guess is that you "corrected" this by inverting the bits
but forgot to adjust PhotometricInterpretation as well.

>  I also have had this problem, except i had scanned them on a
>Mac and then transferred then to the NeXT - i had just assumed
>it was another case of Mac screwing something up - but now i
>suspect that it may be inherent to 2.0..

How did you scan them?  NeXT 1.0 (and earlier) barfed on
AppleScan's TIFF files--that's why I wrote tifftoeps way-back-
when.

>  last and least:  can anyone suggest any methods of printing
>a WriteNow document if I have no access to a NeXT with a printer,
>no access to machines with WriteNow on them and RTF seems to be
>acting a bit dysfunctional?

Print to Preview and Save the PostScript from there.

>                             part B - does anyone know if
>SendPS on the Mac works with EPS files?

I don't see why it wouldn't.  You may have to add a showpage at
the end.
					-=EPS=-