[comp.sys.next] The 105HD and file removal query..

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (01/09/91)

  As far as the person who asked if all slabs had the 100 MB capacity
(105 slabs...):  Mach OS states that the drive is identified as a
QUANTUM LP105S.  but then goes on to state its capacity is 100MB, so
NeXT did supply the specified 105... hmmm...

  anyway.. question of the day is:  in /private/tftpboot/private/tftpboot
there is a copy of the original system - everything, i assume being updated
at logoff.. is there any purpose for this if i'm not linked to a network
and if there is no purpose is there a way to disable the update and
free up the 20-30 MB its eating?

Thanks in advance.. Loki

bb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (01/13/91)

In article <621@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu
(Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

> anyway.. question of the day is: in /private/tftpboot/private/tftpboot
> there is a copy of the original system - everything, i assume being
> updated at logoff.. is there any purpose for this if i'm not linked to
> a network and if there is no purpose is there a way to disable the
> update and free up the 20-30 MB its eating?

It's called a "symbolic link".  There is a link somewhere in the
hierarchy that you mention that points back to the root ("/") of the
filesystem.  You are not seeing a second copy of the hard disk
(or third or fourth or ...  check in
/private/tftpboot/private/tftpboot/private/tftpboot/), you are
following the pointer back up to the top again.  This is useful,
because it is a proper installation of tftpboot.

> Thanks in advance.. Loki

One of the guys at our site (thoth) want to know if you play Empire.
If the answer is positive, please stick to running countries :-)

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!mathlab.math.ufl.edu!bb