[comp.sys.next] 2.88Mb floppies

a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) (01/09/91)

The latest "Byte" mentions that the 20Mb "Flopticals" are almost ready for
distribution.  To bad they didn't have them ready for the NeXTstation.  I guess
the 2.88 Mb floppies were just to fill up the space until the floptical drives
were available.

If the flopticals work well, I doubt that the cost of 2.88 Mb floppies will go
down ... if they're even produced.  :(

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (01/10/91)

I have a few questions for all the people with NeXTStations and 2.88Mb
floppies out there.

	1. does the 2.88Mb have an external indication to make it look
	   different from a 1.44Mb floppy. (maybe an extra hole or something)
	   I know the formulation quite different.
	2. does the driver (the software) know what kind of blank media
	   is inserted before you format and label. I.e. does it tell
	   you if have the wrong type disk inserted or does it just
	   format the disk and then get a bunch of media errors during
	   the verify.
	3. does anyone have a cheaper source for 2.88Mb floppies than
	   NeXT ?

Thanks,
-ingo
--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.080318@ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
>	1. does the 2.88Mb have an external indication to make it look
>	   different from a 1.44Mb floppy. (maybe an extra hole or something)
>	   I know the formulation quite different.

It's hole is a little lower than a 1.44M disk's telltale hole.

>	2. does the driver (the software) know what kind of blank media
>	   is inserted before you format and label. I.e. does it tell
>	   you if have the wrong type disk inserted or does it just
>	   format the disk and then get a bunch of media errors during
>	   the verify.

Well, it knows what density you have.  I didn't format any HD disks LD or
whatnot, so I'm not sure about that one.

>	3. does anyone have a cheaper source for 2.88Mb floppies than
>	   NeXT ?

I don't even know if they exist outside NeXT yet, since NeXT is the only
computer that uses them, to the best of my knowledge.

>Thanks,
>-ingo

Velcome.
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior
executive.

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (01/10/91)

In article <4379@mindlink.UUCP> a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) writes:
   The latest "Byte" mentions that the 20Mb "Flopticals" are almost ready for
   distribution.  To bad they didn't have them ready for the NeXTstation.  I guess
   the 2.88 Mb floppies were just to fill up the space until the floptical drives
   were available.

   If the flopticals work well, I doubt that the cost of 2.88 Mb floppies will go
   down ... if they're even produced.  :(

I think that this discussion is getting a _weee_ bit ahead of itself.
To put a couple things in perspective, I would recommend that those
of you who have been in computers for awhile recall the first 10M
floppy drives that were out.  Regular disks (well, regular like the
2.88s are), but they were too expensive.  It seems like my
first issues of BYTE have adds for one of them, and that was sometime
in 1985.

Many, many, many people still run with 720k disks.  Heck, there's alot
out there still at 360k, or (gasp!) 320k 5.25" disks.  The PC world is
not going to jump for 20M floppies if the drive costs $800 and the media
is $10.  They will, meanwhile, jump for 2.88M drives which cost
$200 and $5 media, and hoping to fall.  Remember that the PC market
can drag the rest of us around kicking and screaming - if the PC marker
decides to do 2.88M, we will do 2.88M whether we want to or not.
And it is looking like the PC marker is going to do 2.88M, at least for
awhile.  After all, the 2.88M stuff works, because it's not much different,
while the 20M stuff might or might not.

I'm not trying to say that 20M is _bad_, but I think foretelling the
doom of 2.88M because 20M is coming out isn't going to work.

Hmm.  Is anyone working on getting a Bournelli installed on a NeXT? :-)
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

datran2 (01/10/91)

In article <4379@mindlink.UUCP> a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) writes:
>If the flopticals work well, I doubt that the cost of 2.88 Mb floppies will go
>down ... if they're even produced.  :(

I think the 2.88 Mb floppies will be produced, since IBM has announced
that they will be offering them in PS/2's.  It shouldn't be more than
six to eight months before they are reasonable.

Steve.

--
 #  Steve Boker           #  "Badgers, we don't have no stinking badgers"   #

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (01/14/91)

a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) writes:

> The latest "Byte" mentions that the 20Mb "Flopticals" are almost ready for
distribution.

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but those 20meg floppies have been
"almost ready for distribution" for about two years now. I'm not going to
hold my breath...