[comp.sys.next] Yes, NeXT shipping on time.

peterd@cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (01/14/91)

In article <278E3748.18058@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesly     A) writes:
>In article <1991Jan10.225501.10174@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>>Intersting, I do not think OSU has gotten any of it's order.
>>Still waiting. Getting tired of waiting. I'm thinking of canceling my
>
>[stuff deleted]
>Here, here. It is _almost_ nice to here that I'm note the only one that is
>getting jerked around by next. Our university, along with a number of others,
>have combined to form an order of nexts  worthy of the companies attention.
>It was supposed to be shipped on a Tuesday in November but still no show. This
>is getting to be a bit of a drag it would come in very handy in some of my
>soft. eng. courses. What really gets to me is that McGill (another Canadian
>university) has gotten what I believe is there full order of 63 machines so
>next can't very well try and blame the boarder for the delay. .  .  .

I must say that NeXT has been pretty good about setting me
dates and keeping to them. They originally told me (in
June) that they'd announce in mid-September and ship in
October. They were up-front about the chip delays and told
me in (I think) August that they'd ship their first
machines in November and they promised us the _second_
order out of the factory (that's the advantage of risking
your neck on pre-release orders =8-0

I told NeXT I'd be happy to receive my shipment in two
parts to help schedule the install and they complied. I
got my first order in December and the second lot came
at just the start of January.

I would suggest you talk to your NeXT rep, but also to your
university ordering people. I have experienced delays in
the past that turned out to be hangups in McGill
processing the P.O., etc. NeXT seem to have their build
lists pretty well under control.

> .  .  .  Next marketing
>methods seem to be a strange mix. Some people report excellent relations and
>others seem to be continuously screwed around and size of order doesn't seem
>to be the major factor (ie. McGills X-windows problems). I mean if you can't
>predict a capitalist who can you...:-)

Well, I like their marketing, but can't predict tech
support. Go figure ;^)

Okay, cheap shot. I take it back.....

			- peterd

"Can't get weird enough for me! But Boy, they try on Usenet!"