[comp.sys.next] NeXT without floptical is like summer without sunshine

shmuli@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Shmuel Browns) (01/14/91)

     In Issue #5 Buzzings, Dave Joerg reports on the NeXT pre-announcement of
the high-end color workstation and says that "all NeXTs will be shipped with the
20ms Canon floptical drives" - double the storage, read/writes both sides of the
disk, even reads CD-ROMs, low price ($25)".   WHAT HAPPENED?!  It doesn't even
look as if it's available as an optional extra.  Come on NeXT, of the 10 things
we are going to see in the 1990s, are we down to 6 from NeXT?  Don't leave us
in suspense....
    Shmuel
 ---
Shmuel Browns, Macintosh & Unix Technical Support          VOICE: +972-2-585669
  MAIL: Computer Centre, Taylor Bldg, Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904 ISRAEL
  BITNET: SHMULI@HUJINIX   INTERNET: shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il  FAX: +972-2-527349
--
 ---

gerst@ecs.umass.edu (01/14/91)

>Subject: Re: X11 for the NeXTstation
>From: waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu

>In article <1117@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> [lots o'stuff deleted]
>>
>> NeXT has better things to worry about... like developing a
>> C2-certifiable release.
>        Well, maybe that's a biggie.  Or maybe they ought to get out of the
>        operating system development business as much as possible by
>        transitioning to OSF/x (where x should equal 1? 2?  you be the judge).
>        Adopting OSF as the NeXT OS would probably permit NeXTstep to be
>        ported to more platforms (if that's of any interest to NeXT) and would
>        give them maximum platform independence for future NeXTs.

     Why? from my understanding NeXTStep is even more OS/machine independant
     than X is, and look at what X is running on, Mac's, PC's, gazillion
     variations of Unix, NOS/VE etc... it's hardly an assembly language
     monster like the MacOS.

     Last I knew OSF/* is a BSD Unix with the Mach kernel and a slew
     of standard extensions...sounds like what I have on my cube now :)

Chris Lloyd - lloyd@ucs.umass.edu

gerst@ecs.umass.edu (01/14/91)

>Subject: NeXT without floptical is like summer without sunshine
>From: shmuli@SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Shmuel Browns)

>     In Issue #5 Buzzings, Dave Joerg reports on the NeXT pre-announcement of
>the high-end color workstation and says that "all NeXTs will be shipped with the
>20ms Canon floptical drives" - double the storage, read/writes both sides of the
>disk, even reads CD-ROMs, low price ($25)".   WHAT HAPPENED?!  It doesn't even
>look as if it's available as an optional extra.  Come on NeXT, of the 10 things
>we are going to see in the 1990s, are we down to 6 from NeXT?  Don't leave us
>in suspense....
>    Shmuel

  Rumors are great, aren't they? :)

  Maybe NeXT will start including higher capacity/faster optical drives when
  the rest of the market is ready for the current ones.  Considering the market
  is now at 2.88 meg floppies, I'd wait another decade :)

  As for the 10 things we are going to see in the 90's, I'd call NeXTDimension
  #7.  This board kicks some serious color butt.

  And look, 9 more years for 8,9,10. grin.