[comp.sys.next] Swap Space

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.135156.5950@uncecs.edu> jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) writes:
>NextStep doesn't either.  Otherwise it, the operating systems and a dozen
>applications (that really use the environment) would not fit on a 105 disk
>with swap area.

ACK!  Is this true?  I thought the swap space got its own 40Meg disk.
Or is that only on OD configurations?  If there's 40Meg on a 105Meg
disk used for swapping, I can see why all that good stuff does not come
with the small disk configuration. -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (01/16/91)

In article <41752@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <1991Jan15.135156.5950@uncecs.edu> jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) writes:
>>NextStep doesn't either.  Otherwise it, the operating systems and a dozen
>>applications (that really use the environment) would not fit on a 105 disk
>>with swap area.
>
>ACK!  Is this true?  I thought the swap space got its own 40Meg disk.
>Or is that only on OD configurations?  If there's 40Meg on a 105Meg
>disk used for swapping, I can see why all that good stuff does not come
>with the small disk configuration. -- Darren
>--

No extra swap disks on the new stations.  I don't even know if the OD only
configurations have a 40Mb swap disk.  None of the literature I have lists
a 40Mb + OD as an option available from NeXT.  Of course, you could by the
OD only system & home-brew a swap disk.

I don't think the 105Mb systems have a LOT (eg 40Mb) used for swap.  I would
expect ~ 8Mb of swap space.  Various folks on the Net have posted a lot of
ways to crunch/archive the 105Mb & get a "more useful configuration".

I'm still waiting for my 400Mb system, but can someone with a 105 please post
details like:

  1) How much disk space is free on the system when it's delivered?

  2) How much disk is set aside for swap.

  3) What is a good amount of swap space on a single-user system.
     (Anyone done some performance testing with different memory configurations
      and various swap areas -- what's a good compromise??)

Tyler